Service prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but my life doesn't depend on my toaster working.

Why argue with the price then, isn't your life worth twice that much?

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
There's A Sucker Born Every Minute. -- P T Barnum

Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts.
William S. Burroughs

nothing from the OP???

Why argue with the price then, isn't your life worth twice that much?

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
There's A Sucker Born Every Minute. -- P T Barnum

Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts.
William S. Burroughs

I would hope a diver would treat their regulators better than a toaster. I dont buy the must be serviced every year the manufactures push but every few years based on use and conditions is reasonable.

At the price paid by the OP, you should be able to rinse, dry, and store everything properly with no maintenance for say 3 years or however long until you start to see a problem, then trash bin the old stuff and buy new equipment.

At the price paid by the OP, you should be able to rinse, dry, and store everything properly with no maintenance for say 3 years or however long until you start to see a problem, then trash bin the old stuff and buy new equipment.

I was just thinking the same thing. Even if you went with every other year, you can get a decent set of regs for $1350.

I would hope a diver would treat their regulators better than a toaster. I dont buy the must be serviced every year the manufactures push but every few years based on use and conditions is reasonable.

I don't abuse my toaster just as I don't abuse any other equipment I own. My regulators get serviced when I have an issue with their performance, I check them regularly and thoroughly, then do any necessary work on them myself. The largest cause of catastrophic failure in a reg is when it returns from the shop after repair.

No I am not a certified regulator technician, but I play one at home.:D

Bob
---------------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

The price charged was perfectly reasonable. How do I know? Because he paid it. This is a free market society. Get a price before the work is done, or live with the consequences.

I am a service tech. First off. Secondly, to get the courses you either need to pay thousands to a few schools that will train you. I can think of one that was about 12k last I looked. OR, you need to work for a shop and attend DEMA and/or be sponsored to take the classes in another forum. To just show up and take the classes, you need to show DEMA that you have spent thousands as a retailer with proof of invoices from a major manufacturer selling wholesale to your business.

Now, I am just the tech like I said. However, I do know that some manufacturers give parts for life to the original purchaser who registered it within sometimes 30 days of the sale with a receipt to the factory. Those parts for life terminate when you miss a service interval, miss a service inspection, or sell them to another person.

If you buy from some online stores SOME stores, your warranty may not be valid due to grey, or not proper, chain of supply&custody from the factory to you. Long story short. I buy stuff online. I buy all my life support from the brick and mortar guys that I frequent since airfills are not available on line, someone needs to pay for the compressor.

Ahh...yes...costs add up. $30 for labor per stage, $35 parts per stage on the average depending on brand, costs to fix that leaky SPG spool, replace hoses, mouthpiece tears, batteries, orings, etc. Sounds expensive. The lubricant used on the O rings costs about $60 for 2 ounces. That is roughly 10-15 ketchup tear packets worth, and it's not hard to use about a ketchup packet in about 2-3 sets of regulators between all the parts, etc. Some regulators, I know Atomic for one, does it's environmental sealing at each service, taking about half a normal size tube of toothpaste amount of that $30 an ounce goop.....it goes on and on....and the supplies and stuff to do this work ain't cheap. You can't get the tools at Harbor Freight.

Bottom line, buy it local as far as regs is my motto, and service it at the same place if you can always. No need to convince some guy you are the original purchaser and had it done religiously if you are there all the time.....

My .02 only.

okay, you joined the party.... answer these questions:

1. You damage my equipment (rip my gauge console removing the SPG) - do you tell me? Just charge me for a new one?

2. Do you return improperly assembled equipment? Thus untested/verified....

3. Do you charge me hourly to do something, then say "oh, it took so long because I wasn't familiar with your gear (yet you are an authorized shop)?

4. Do you charge me for "hidden" things you are noticing without asking or just stick me with the bill when I show up?

5. Do you take 4 months to do simple service and never update as to why?

6. Do you perform "unnecessary" extras as "its part of the service" without detailing what you are doing?

7. Do you provide an up front cost and schedule?

these, as well as many more, are reasons you aren't getting a sympathy vote....

Back
Top Bottom