Seriously, what's the deal....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be on the Spectre Sat & Sun DM'ing. Am looking forward to the E-ticket ride to the island.

John

So despite the doom & gloom, off we went to Catalina. The plan was to try Cat Saturday then try SBI Sunday. A very quiet crossing (well, a bit of hail and a few waterspouts, but not enough to wake us up). Some drizzle for dive 1, then sun off & on all day. Viz was decent, and only a mild swell now & then. Made 4 good dives. The plan was to leave early Sun morning for SBI if conditions were OK.

Unfortunately there was still a big swell between the islands, so we stayed at Cat. 4 more very nice dives today, with a bit of surface current but a really nice day otherwise. The ride back in was a little lumpy but not bad.

So despite the forecasts it really was an alright weekend. I'm glad they didn't cancel and I went.

I'm gald you had good dives Mike, we were worried (a little) about you and the other divers.

I'm gald you had good dives Mike, we were worried (a little) about you and the other divers.

Thanks Dave. I've had much worse conditons with much better forecasts.

I wanna be a weather forecaster. How hard can it be?

Yeah we had about the same conditions going out to Anacapa Sat. & Sun. We had 10 to 12 ft swells moving fast Sat. going back Sat. which made it a little difficult getting in the harbor.

John

Glad you guys made it back Mike and John, hopefully we'll have better conditions next weekend.

Billy

The swell model isn't predicting anything too nice for this coming weekend :depressed: I'm holding out hope that they got it wrong and it will clear up and be nice.

Regardless if conditions aren't up to par we'll trek it out to Catalina.

Billy

I can't think of anything worse than this (okay, I can....a trip out even further than Catalina). I don't normally do boat dives because I get sea sick and feel miserable (and cause I'm cheap....maybe that has something to do with it!). I can only imagine with a boat smaller than the Catalina Express and 6-8 foot swell....maybe we'll get to see sharks or something :wink:

i.e. I'll be chummin'

Just remember a west swell means a pretty good blockage by the island. Catalina casts a pretty good shadow. SBI is too small and the swells just wrap around it. While it was 6-8ft between us and SBI, it was very calm by the island. It only got a bit choppy when the wind picked up. Coming back there were some side swells, but no really big rollers. No one was even close to sick.

I looked at the wekend models and they look very similar to this past weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom