Sequence in S-drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, this is a stupid question, but I promised Bob I would do dry runs before our next dive, and he's out of town and I can't ask him, and only "perfect practice" makes perfect, right?

When you do an S-drill, what do you do with your light/light cord? It's over the long hose to begin with. Do you transfer the light to the right hand under the cord BEFORE you give your buddy the regulator (seems like the wrong order), or do you give your buddy the regulator and then pass the light to the right hand, and then deploy the hose under the light canister? And when you get your regulator back, do you start breathing on the primary first and then switch the light, or switch the light while using the secondary?

My husband watched me nearly seizing while trying to sort this out tonight and decided, in his own infinite wisdom, that the can light should be mounted on my back :)

I know they will teach me this in DIR-F, but I'm trying to get a headstart, since there are so many other areas for me not to excel . . .

TSandM,

You're light cable should never trap your long. You'll see in DIR-F how it all works, but since the long hose is your buddies backup, you should never trap it.

If the light head is in your right hand, transfer it to the left hand, and deploy the long hose with your right hand. Once in your left hand, the light cable shouldn't trap the long hose if the light is deployed.

If the light head is clipped off to your right chest d-ring, just make sure that the light cable is routed under the long hose so not to trap it.

If you're interested, I'll pull out the gear tomorrow, and video a dry run of how it works.

~ Jason

darkpup:
TSandM,

You're light cable should never trap your long.
FYI See post #3 - end.

Light head is on my left hand, since that's how I've been told it should be. Light cord is routed over the long hose. If I donate my primary, the loop around my neck goes to my buddy just fine, but when I go to free up the rest of the hose where it is under the light canister, it's now caught in the light cord.

I remember Bob showing me something about switching the light head from one hand to the other to free it up to do this, but I just don't remember at which point it is done.

I could just practice it without the light (and I did) but in practice, I don't dive without my light because our water is too murky and this time of year, too dark, so I really have to get this figured out.

You donate with the right hand, so whatever is in your right hand when an OOA happens transfer it to the left. Donate regulator and put your backup in your mouth.

Now its time to pause and clean up whatever mess was created with the air share. After you have cleaned up, pull out the excess hose (usually hooked under the canister light).

The number 1 biggest problem that people have is that they go too fast. Once the initial OOA is called and they get a reg, the emergency is over. The rest of the procedure is there to make your life easier. There is no need to rush it (Everyone has gas at that point)

Okay, Jeff, so the sequence is pretty much what I worked out tonight: Donate the primary, freeing up the loop around your neck. Reroute the light cord. Deploy the remaining hose.

Seems like when you get it back, the thing to do is get all the spaghetti sorted while still breathing off the secondary, and then switch back to the primary.

If I've got it wrong, I'm sure Bob will tell me . . .

I was just starting to feel as though I had the clipping and unclipping thing under some kind of control, and now this crops up. Things were a lot less complicated with my BC and Air 2 :)

TSandM:
Okay, Jeff, so the sequence is pretty much what I worked out tonight: Donate the primary, freeing up the loop around your neck. Reroute the light cord. Deploy the remaining hose.

Seems like when you get it back, the thing to do is get all the spaghetti sorted while still breathing off the secondary, and then switch back to the primary.

I was just starting to feel as though I had the clipping and unclipping thing under some kind of control, and now this crops up. Things were a lot less complicated with my BC and Air 2 :)
In real OOA you don't have to worry about re-stowing until your at the surface (unless it was a deco dive and you now have gotten to the first gas switch), but regardless of that, just spend a second to clip everything out of the way and re-route the long hose. It only seems like a mess if you go fast. In real life, its less than a minute of real time, but people seem to want to do it in seconds,

TSandM:

Careful with practiceing too much.. I would just concentrate on SPG and other clip offs.. maybe the simple stuff like basic drills ect.

TSandM:
When you do an S-drill, what do you do with your light/light cord? It's over the long hose to begin with. Do you transfer the light to the right hand under the cord BEFORE you give your buddy the regulator (seems like the wrong order), or do you give your buddy the regulator and then pass the light to the right hand, and then deploy the hose under the light canister?

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment/diverfrontlight

This guy seems to route the light cord under the long hose. I've haven't dove with a canister light (yet), so I can't really say this is good or bad, but it does seem to eliminate your problem. Does it create others? Seems to me air sharing should be easiest. Problems dealing with your light would be secondary. Anyway thought I'd share this.

p.s. I very much enjoyed your journal TSandM. I hope you keep it up.

The thread Rick links to has PAGES of discussion about whether the light cord should be routed over or under . . . summary is that if you route it under, the OOA has one less step to it (rerouting the light cord), but you run the risk of clipping off your light head and trapping the long hose in the loop thus created. Routing the light cord over the long hose means that, when you clip it off, the long hose will remain free, but it adds a step to the OOA procedure.

Thanks for the compliment on the journal . . . I'm hoping to do something similar for the Fundies experience. Although I don't think I can write anything more amusing than the log of the assimilation that Mo2vation did for his :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom