Separate Advanced Page ?

Separate Advanced Page ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • The problem is How do you define ADVANCED ...

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello! I would like to see a Advanced page started.
I think some on the Board are thinking they should go straight from Open Water to Tec. They ( the new to Diving ) are missing the enjoyment and excitement of getting from Rec to Tec.
Topics such as Advanced Wreck, Night, Navagation , Drift , and so on...
PLEASE Give your opinion.

:tree: :mean:

A lot of the threads outside of the Tech area discuss things like trimix, DIR and deco diving, which I think belong in the Tech area.

I'd like to see some more division between general recreational threads and more advanced diving.

g2

I think you have a good Idea there. there are a lot of people on this forum who have a lot of experience in advanced dives and I think they well shave that experience with the rest..

Dive safe.. But dive often
Barry

I don't believe I understand what you're proposing. What does "advanced" mean to you?

Do you mean truly advanced diving, like diving the Andrea Doria? Do you mean PADI's concept of advanced, as in the "Advanced Open-Water" certification?

If by 'tec' you mean decompression and mixed gas diving, one should not (and ideally cannot) enter those activities straight out of open-water school. There is already a forum for technical diving.

If you intend to open a new forum for "Advanced Open-Water" divers, it is my opinion that the AOW topics are just basic scuba diving -- and therefore do not warrant a new forum.

- Warren

I usually choose what I want/not want to read by topic, not the forum/section in which it's posted. And besides, what's advanced? I've been diving for 28 years and I'm still learning. So, in summary, my vote would be No.

Warren

I think we can all learn something no matter what the level of discussion. I don't believe in the elitist approach. This is supposed to be one big family. We are all judged by our questions and replies. Having read many of each, I have to think that many are made for the purpose of provoking discussion.

I for one like to be able to pick and choose the section I wish.

I feel that the board is becoming too compartmentalized and it makes it difficult to catch all that's going on, and with all the new members on the board, it makes it harder to get to know everybody. Besides, there are advanced divers(instructors, DMs, Rescue Divers,etc..) all over the board in all the other sections, and they often have discussions concerning advanced topics(photography, different types of equipment, deeper diving and it's effects, spearfishing, night diving, etc.) that aren't necessarily hardcore technical issues. It has been my experience that, if I want to discuss a topic that is technical related, but not really hardcore technical, the techies always seem more than happy to accomodate us less technical divers and our questions and views. Also, I tend to like the mix of more experienced and less experienced divers conversing together. It just seems to promote a mentoring of sorts, it's a great way to glean information, and I think the more experienced divers often find a newbie's excitement for the sport refreshing. It also helps to create friendships between the old salts and the newer divers that might not develop as well if we were all in our own little section with people just like ourselves...Just my opinion I guess..

:box: Bad idea! I think it would divide the board to much! causing a decrease in the amount of replys you get to a post. This is the BEST scuba board by far I feel but I also kinda feel there is to much moving around already to read posts. I think if we keep dividing the board its going to start getting out of hand, hell pretty soon we'll have a newbie section, a open water section, a advanced section, a gifted open water section :grad: (for those who lack the advanced cert. but have logged over a 100 dives) a remedial advanced section:dork: (for those who have done the advanced cert. only for the c-card and have logged under 10 actual dives) get my point, its just not really needed and will just take away from the amount of views your posts get. Just my 2 cents.

Chillywill:boozer:

While I appreciate your suggestion, I too feel that ScubaBoard has enough major forums to cover all of the different questions and threads that come to be.

If a diver does have a particular question about a "diving specialty" topic (aka Night, deep, nav, ice, drysuit, etc) then they are more than welcome to post in the "General" section where they can be assured to get plenty of responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom