Sep 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 9/26/2004
Dive Location: Old Marineland/Longpoint - Palos Verdes
Time: 9:57 AM
Bottom Time: 35:58 min
Max Depth: 43
Vis: 30
Wave height: 1 foot
Temp at depth: 65
Surface Temp:

Dive Location: Old Marineland/Longpoint - Palos Verdes
Time: 12:00 PM
Bottom Time: 56:02 min
Max Depth: 42
Vis: 30
Temp at depth: 65
Surface Temp:
Tide information: Close to high

Comments: After Jim drove all the way from Upland to Malaga to dive with us, we felt bad leaving him to move over to Marineland in hopes of better conditions. Our backup plan to go to Marineland paid off. Nice surface conditions and clear vis.

13 of us suited up and made the short sswim to the rocky point in the cove. Dropped down to 25' and made our way across the sandy bottom for 2-3 minutes at 120 degrees. The reef was full of life, octopus, gobby, garibaldi, sargo, spanish shawl, lemon nudi, and lots of top smelt. Explored around the reef, finding open lobster trap which someone broke the door off...thanks to some diver.

5 divers stuck around for the 2nd dive which included exploring some of the kelp forest to the East of the rocky point. I hadn't dove to this side of the cove and will definately be back to do some more. This area was made up of a large kelp forest with nice reef structure, the outside reef has hardly any kelp.

Dive on.

Dive Location: La Jolla - South Casa Cove
Time: 7:00 AM
Bottom Time: 58 min
Max Depth: 29
Vis: 15-25
Wave height: 1-2 foot
Temp at depth: 67
Surface Temp: 69
Tide information: Close to high

Comments: Sam and I met at South Casa and took a look at the conditions. Sam left it up to me and I decided we should try it. We kicked out about 150 - 200 yards and dropped down to explore the reef. There was nothing exciting to report. The surge was way to much for a comfortable dive and we didn't see anything exciting. We took it as an opportunity to look for Lobster - didn't find many, but it was fun to explore.

Date: 9/27/2004
Dive Location: La Jolla - Marine Room Canyon
Time: 4:39 PM
Bottom Time: 37:20 min
Max Depth: 97 feet
Vis: 0-30 feet
Temp at depth: 59
Surface Temp: 66
Tide information: Low Tide
Comments: Met Ryan at the Marine Room. We kicked out after lining up with Scripps Pier and the rounded house to the right of the Marine Room Restaurant. We dropped down in 25 feet of water with the bottom covered with sand dollars. We could see a slop going down at about 330 degrees and we headed that direction. After a few minutes we hit the canyon and dropped down within 2 minutes to 95 feet or so. We headed south and explored the mucky walls, trying not to kick up too much silt. We saw a fringehead, a few octopi, some rockfish, shrimp, and some amazing vertical structure. We hit our NDL time and headed up to a ledge at about 45 feet and explored some more. After seeing our remaining air we headed back at 90 degrees comming across a navanax and more sand dollars. We surfaced in about 10 feet of water and exited in small surf in from of the beach club. I enjoyed seeing this part of the canyon for the first time.

pics:

http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/marineroom09272004

2 tiny videos just for fun:

http://www.scubapost.net/videos/P1010215.avi Fringehead

http://www.scubapost.net/videos/P1010229.avi Navanax

Date: 9/26/04
Boat: Sundiver, Long Beach

Dive 1
Dive Location: Dead Man
Bottom Time: 40min
Max Depth: 116 ft
Visibility: 50-80 @ 100 ft
Temp at depth: +/- 60
Surface Temp: +/- 70

Dive 2
Dive Location: Black Rock
Bottom Time: 44 min
Max Depth: 62 ft
Visibility: 40-60 ft
Temp at depth: +/- 64
Surface Temp: +/- 75

Dive 3
Dive Location: Emerald Bay
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 60 ft
Visibility: 50 ft
Temp at depth: +/- 65
Surface Temp: +/- 78

I partnered up with Debbie of “XS Scuba” and Karen Elaine of “Haven Reef”. I found a flashlight among other items. Best part of all was a school of barracuda cruising @ about 20 ft. Spotted a Black Sea bass about 30’ away while at Emerald Bay.

Thanks Debbie and Karen, I had a great time this weekend

The only bad part was getting home after 8pm.

Date: 9/28/2004
Dive Location: La Jolla - North Wall
Time: 5:15 PM
Bottom Time: 36 min
Max Depth: 84 feet
Vis: 25-30 feet
Temp at depth: 51
Surface Temp: 67
Comments: Met Sean and Paul at the Shores parking lot where I found Sean had rented 2 scooters from Aqua Tech. We decided to use the 2 scooters with 3 people and see what happens. We scooted out to the line-ups and decended in about 40 feet of water. We found the canyon soon and started to explore. Sean let Paul and I ride off with the scooters so we could see how they worked. There was a lot of life on the ridge of the wall - more fish than I have ever seen at the Shores. After some exploring and having fun riding around we headed in. We did a safety stop by riding the scooters at 15 feet for about 3 minutes and then surfaced and scooted in with our snorkles. Over all a good and fun dive!

Date: 9/28/2004
Dive Location: La Jolla - North Wall
Time: 9:15 PM
Bottom Time: 38 min
Max Depth: 78 feet
Temp at depth: 51
Surface Temp: 67
Comments: After a long SI we changed batteries in the scooters and headed out to explore the same place. On the way out I tried the scooter and realized the battery did not work! We had some complications with it on shore but thought we had them figured out...guess not! So I took both scooters back to the car. During this process I ended up dropping my key in the surf zone so that was a horrible thing! I floated my BC and Sean and Paul started kicking out slowly. I called my wife and she brought me another key (thank goodness she helped out!). I got back in the water and kicked out to meet Sean and Paul...of course I had on my weight belt so I was fighting all I could to stay above water on the way out! I caught up and geared up and we swam out to what we figured was the right place. We finally dropped down and started the dive! We saw lots of life - highlighted by about 6 octopii, a few fringehead, baby horn shark, some little critters and a broken off fin from a surf board. Coming in saw a juvenile black sea bass that Sean hopefully got a good shot of...we'll see. We got out of the water around 10pm and we de-geared. Sean and Paul went to IHOP in La Jolla and went home to have wheat thins and cream cheese.

Date: 9/29/2004
Dive Location: Veterans Park, Redondo Beach
Time: 7:30 PM
Bottom Time: 47 min
Max Depth: 76 feet
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments: 14 divers showed up for our weekly dive. Paired off in groups, our group dropped down in 10' heading west to the canyon. Plan took us North along the canyon lip and then into the shallows for the turnaround. Rays, and the usual nocturnal fish where all around. A few in the group were able to squeeze in 2 dives before we hit he brewery for refreshements. Nice relaxing dive to break the week up. Hats off to ICY ICE for making the trip from Eagle Rock.

FYI - "Lt. Blender's, Margarita In A Bag" mix freezes and travels very well in a cooler.

Date: 09/29/2004
Dive Location: Mars- at least that's what it looked like...mostly
Time: 1640
Bottom Time: 42 minutes
Max Depth: 97 ft
Avg. Depth: 52 ft
Vis: 10-20
Wave height: knee to chest with no real power
Temp at depth: 54 degrees
Surface Temp: 68 Degrees
Comments: When the SEA BASS swims by, your camera will be set to macro

Date: 09/29/2004
Dive Location: Vallacetos area
Time: 18:55
Bottom Time: 40 minutes
Max Depth: 104 ft
Avg Depth: 54 ft
Vis: 10-20
Wave height: knee to hip, no power

Temp at depth: 55 degrees
Surface Temp: 67 degrees
Comments: When the bat ray swims right up to you, you will smile and forget to take a picture.

Images: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJShores09292004/

Dive debrief:

John A. Sean and I and later Roy, met up at La Jolla Shores and we all managed to find parking at Vallecetos! Got to love the end of the tourist season!! we geared up and swam out in line with tower 30 until the depth sounder said 85ft down and after a final gear/buddy check we started our decent. As I dropped past 35 ft I notice a 5 pound weight pouch race past me in a hurry to be the first to the bottom. As I pondered it's reckless decent I felt a dull "thump" on my right thigh. Reaching back I discovered a nearly identical 5 pound soft weight was trying to hitch hike a ride down as well. Arriving at the bottom I was soon joined by Sean who showed some interest in retrieving his wayward charges. I have no idea how he managed to decent 10 pounds light but soon enough his weights were secured. John joined us and we pointed north to start our foray.

First up was juvenile horn shark at 6-8" long he was quite cute. The bottom at our descent point was a sloping sand/muck hill rising to our right. Small and not so small holes dotted the area and many were filled with sarcastic fringeheads and octopus. As we continued on, the area "appeared" barren compared so the walls we usually dive here. I was about to turn us back south to head toward the point but we had reached NDL so we started back up slope. Turbot and halibut were everywhere. Lemon colored nudibranchs here and there. Schooling baitfish above. It was quite nice. As I paused to take picture for the upcoming Turbot Daily Journal I could hear Sean's shots. His shots were soon joined by mine as the GIANT SEA BASS swam circles around us 4ft way. My camera was set all wrong so no pictures for me but I think Sean got some good video and stills. John gave the universal sight for "really cool fish" and we watched it drift back out into deeper water. The return trip was littered with more halibut and lots of rays. Soon we were back on the beach and ready to swap gear for the night dive.

Roy joined us for the second dive and we geared up after the surface interval. While suiting up, we met another diver who was suppose to meet a group there but they appeared to be a no-show and so he joined our merry band of divers. Back in the water and kicking out I was reminded of the added drag when diving dry but after watching Sean turn blue and shiver on the surface interval, I would have to say its worth it. We kicked out to about 100ft and dropped in and started south. More Fringeheads here in the dark along with California Sea slugs, LOTS of octopus big and small, rockfish and barred sand bass resting on the bottom and in holes. Large Tube Anemones waved as we drifted past.

Reaching our turn around pressure we headed back upslope and east-northeast toward our exit point. Again with the stingrays....then at about 10ft a large shape appeared out of the darkness. Bat Ray!!! I was so thrilled that it was so close that I forgot to unsnap my camera and take a picture. The ray hung there for a moment and then slowly drifted away. Awesome.

Kick kick, stand up, remove fins, dodge way, back the truck, on the road, burger and suds and good friends.

It's a good day to dive.

Terry

Date: 9/26/04

Dive 1
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 88 ft
Visibility: 35 @ 80 ft
Temp at depth: +/- 58
Surface Temp: +/- 68

Dive 2
Bottom Time: 15 min
Max Depth: 33 ft
Visibility: 15-25 ft
Temp at depth: +/- 60
Surface Temp: +/- 68

This being my first night dive, I was in very good hand with the group, I saw lots of nocturnal animals and there activities. We went out to 88 ft and headed west for 9 min, turned around and headed back towards the entry point. Great navigation skills Dan.

Second dive: We came out and were greeted by a new diver that was running late; we went back in for another dive. Time being of an essence we headed out to shallower grounds and saw many of horn sharks and baby bat rays.

Back
Top Bottom