Senior Citizens Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have friends in their mid 70's who can outperform most 30ish folks for air consumption and skills level when under water. On the surface yes they need a little help with the gear but underwater get out of their way. Let him keep diving and just help him out on the shy he probably does not want to have to ask you for help.

I have a bunch of real good positive stories and experiences about older divers......I just can't remember them!!

I agree with Dr. Bill & DocIntrepid......80+. I'd dive with your dad anywhere and if I couldn't carry the gear I'd help him drag it!!

Regards,

scubajoh44:
My "Daddy" is a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time diver. His is now 68 and in good health FOR 68. We went cavern diving this summer in Cancun. He had to have help getting his equipment down the steps (it was quite a way). Simply, he's just not in as good of shape as a 20, 30, 40, ect... Now that I noticed that, I see that he manages to "slyly" get someone to set his BC rig in the water or have someone get his tank somewhere. Always on the "sly". When should he quit diving? He really sucks down the air now too. I have almost 400 dives now and they are ALL with him. It's going to break my heart the first time I dive without him, but deffinately don't want him to dive if he can't handle it. I think I'll have to be the one that tells him it's time to stop. Don't EVER see him admitting it.

"I want in the water. Leave me alone." :help_2:

I've passed 70 with lots of dives, many, many with my (now) 40+ daughter. While I haven't yet needed help in schleping gear, I'm a "drag" on my daughter since my air consumption, while still quite respectable, is more than 50% of hers. Yet, she still asks for me to arrange a dive trip or two each year; she pays her own way.

I hope I can recognize when it's time to hang up my reg. There's a good possibility that decision will be a no-brainer since it gets more and more probable with each passing year that a serious illness or disability will overtake me. On the other hand, I can forsee the possibility of the gradual deterioration of my physical abilities. It's that slow, continual degradation that has me worried. Will I be able to say "It's been fun, but that's enough." before tragedy strikes?

scubajoh44:
He really sucks down the air now too.
Sucking more air is something he should talk about with a scuba-knowledgeable physician.

As an incipient senior citizen (I get discounts at some places, but not all),
I use a three-fold approach:
An annual dive physical.
Regular exercise and sensible diet.
Less aggressive dives.

Someone else schlepping his gear is no big deal. Same as for a young guy with back problems.

It's good to keep an eye on the old folks, but personal responsibility still rules.

I've buddied with divers in their 70's who had much better skills and SAC than moi. I say go until you call it.

It would be nice if the dive operators would mimic the ski industry - lift tickets are free if you're over 70 - and there are lot of them on the slopes too!! Personally, I think that's far riskier for injuries as the bone density decreases.

mi dos psi

I'm not old (53) and won't be for at least another 25 years. (if I live that long). I've had six back surgeries and while I can still carry my own rig it is definately getting heavier. Its also a huge risk with all the titanium I have back there. But I didn't even get my OW till I was 52 and plan to get one he!! of a lot more use out of all these toys. Spent too much to hang it up now.

He'll let you know when its time. Either openly or by actions. Till then... learn from him and enjoy the company. My son won't dive any more unless we're somewhere warm. :(

I guess this is why my dad (65) opts for the luxury dive resorts - he doesn't have to schlep his own gear and he doesn't even have to ask! :wink:

Aw, crap! This thread can be depressing!! Last month I "recognized" my 56th birthday (I don't celebrate BD's anymore and just barely "recognize" them so I can show some gratitude for any gifts that I may receive). Anyway, on my BD this year my wife gave me NAUI SCUBA lessons so I could finally get my C-Card!! I've been talking about doing this for years but something always got in the way until now. My final OW cert dives are coming up this Sunday (Dutch Springs in the Fall...mmmmmm, nice). Now this discussion about hanging-up the reg & BC while you can still take an unaided breath is very depressing!! Hey! Knock it off!! I just started diving, Dammit!!! I expect diving to add to my longivity so I don't want to hear any talk about being too old.... hell, I'm getting to the point where the young folks think I'm already too old for anything but fishing and golf... and I hate golf!!! When I get those invitations to join AARP in the mail each month I immediately trash them (wait a minute.. are there AARP discounts on dive equipment and trips to St. Somewhere??? I may need to rethink this.)

I may be too old to appreciate Hip-Hop and Rap but I intend to dive as long as I have the ability to hold the 2nd stage between my gums!!

Now, go get my rig and carry it over here for me, OK?

Okay so we are ALL old here LOL. Just certified and I will be 56 the end of this month. Best thing I ever did for myself and hope to dive forever.

SkyBird

The pertinent questions to ask (at any age!) is: can I handle myself safely in the water? and can I provide assistance to my buddy, if necessary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom