Wanted Semi Quiet Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pizzajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a MaxAir 35 powered by a Honda GX140 and fill about 15-20 tanks per week for my girlfriend and I to go diving. We are not making our neighbors happy with all the noise and are looking for something quieter and faster for filling. Right now it takes about 35 minutes per tank. I've heard there are compressors that are about as loud as a washing machine or dishwasher so something like that would be ideal. Anyone selling a compressor that fits our needs?

It is most important that we find something relatively quiet.

We are located in Hawaii and can pay to ship from anywhere as long as you can work the magic on your end. We don't do nitrox and only need to fill to 3000psi.

Do you have electricity to run the compressor? That is a good 220V 30A minimum with 50A being better. Or even better than that, 3-phase power?

Or are you stuck with a gas engine running the compressor?

You can probably just convert the one you have to use an electric motor. I did, with my Bauer K14.

You can probably just convert the one you have to use an electric motor. I did, with my Bauer K14.
Do you have electricity to run the compressor? That is a good 220V 30A minimum with 50A being better. Or even better than that, 3-phase power?

Or are you stuck with a gas engine running the compressor?
Thank you guys for the idea on this. If we cannot find another compressor that is both quiet and fills faster, we will use this as a last option. We are in a normal residential home with a 220 outlet that we could use. I don't think 3-phase is an option for us.

Thank you guys for the idea on this. If we cannot find another compressor that is both quiet and fills faster, we will use this as a last option. We are in a normal residential home with a 220 outlet that we could use. I don't think 3-phase is an option for us.
My K14 runs on single phase 200V. I can almost guarantee that an electric motor is cheaper than a new (to you) electric compressor. It's an easy conversion. You could even buy the motor and parts from Max Air. Your choice, though.

My K14 runs on single phase 200V. I can almost guarantee that an electric motor is cheaper than a new (to you) electric compressor. It's an easy conversion. You could even buy the motor and parts from Max Air. Your choice, though.
I appreciate the info, but having faster fill times sounds pretty nice as well so getting a newer compressor is probably what's going to be best for us. We are looking at the coltri silent series so hoping that maybe someone has a used one of them for sale.

Have you looked into building a cascade bank system? Could pick up a few tanks and fill off of them and the compressor would just keep them topped off during non peak hours or during the day.

Thank you for the help everyone. We ended up buying a Coltri Mark 3 Silent. It's supposed to be pretty quiet so hopefully our neighbors will be much happier!

The Max Air 35 is now for sale if anyone is looking :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom