Semi missed safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And how do you signify a deco stop if your safety stop is the one you describe?

FYI, I have never seen nor used that sign for safety stop.

And how do you signify a deco stop if your safety stop is the one you describe?

FYI, I have never seen nor used that sign for safety stop.

My guess is that if divers are using the three fingers below the horizontal palm sign to indicate "safety stop," then they are not planning for deco stops. They might use the raised pinkie finger sign to indicate "uh oh, I inadvertently went into deco and need to stop."

Does no one review dive signs with a new buddy, or already have established signs with a long time buddy? Who cares what you use for safety stop? If I was in deco, I'd point at my computer and show my buddy the stop obligation. It's useful to learn at least the alphabet in sign language so you're able to spell things out to one another.

Does no one review dive signs with a new buddy, or already have established signs with a long time buddy? Who cares what you use for safety stop? If I was in deco, I'd point at my computer and show my buddy the stop obligation. It's useful to learn at least the alphabet in sign language so you're able to spell things out to one another.
Sign language does seem far more practical than the hodgepodge of scuba signs that are in use. Someone asked about it in my OW class and I remember it being explained that sign wasn't used because it was language dependent. Since then, I realized that was kind of silly from a diver's perspective.. at least this diver - since I've never dived with someone who didn't speak the same language as I do. I bet that is the case for most divers. I'm sure agencies don't teach that because they want one class that can be sold in any region.

I guess if you do a lot of solo international travel, it might be different. I've met divers online who do that, but I don't personally know anyone who falls into that category (that I know of).

Ok, so let's explain what I am doing with my buddy - spouse. If I have a stop, safety or mandatory, I am starting by putting 2 fingers on my computor, then hand palm down left and right with depth in meters ( with one hand, tek type), then the time the same way. When I am finished with my deco obligations I am making a "figure of 8 " on my computor with my right hand.

My buddy knows that I have a deco obligation as soon as I see one on my computor. For this I put 2 fingers on my computor and I show my right fist with the small pinckie up :).

Sign language does seem far more practical than the hodgepodge of scuba signs that are in use. Someone asked about it in my OW class and I remember it being explained that sign wasn't used because it was language dependent. Since then, I realized that was kind of silly from a diver's perspective.. at least this diver - since I've never dived with someone who didn't speak the same language as I do. I bet that is the case for most divers. I'm sure agencies don't teach that because they want one class that can be sold in any region.

I guess if you do a lot of solo international travel, it might be different. I've met divers online who do that, but I don't personally know anyone who falls into that category (that I know of).

The only problem with "signs" is that you must agree with a unknown buddy that you are talking metric or imperial for pressure and depth :popcorn:

The only problem with "signs" is that you must agree with a unknown buddy that you are talking metric or imperial for pressure and depth
You're going to have to do that no matter what system of communication you're using, no?

The second easiest solution by far has already been mentioned. You just look at each other's computer. It's not hard, and is usually what I do. The easiest solution, of course, is to have a full facemask with the radio and say "hey buddy, I'm going to stop here for 3 minutes of safety and/or deco stop. Did you see that huge shark back there? Where do you want to go for beers after this dive?"

For what it's worth, if I had tried to make a handsign for a safety stop I probably would have just used the "stop" handsign. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...gnal_Stop.png/600px-Dive_hand_signal_Stop.png

Last edited:
You're going to have to do that no matter what system of communication you're using, no?

I must admit, you have a point. :surrender:

This is why half tank and "reserve" is a great sign :cheers:

We teach that 3min safety stop signal here in Dallas.

I learned the level hand and three fingers mentioned by @Neilwood; SSI, Houston area. We then count down, with two and one finger so that everyone gets a simple indicator that time is passing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom