Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitchrf

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a coultri-sub full 7mm semi-dry suit (used), I was just wondering what temperature waters you can go in with this type of suit.

Any input is great, thanks.

Really depends on where you live and what you consider cold. If your diving the Great Lake in the spring and fall you should be ok. Say 40/55 deg water depending on exposure time. 7mm seems to be a good choice, although some dive dry, and many only wear something like a 5/3. The surface temperature is what will get you, so be prepared to say warm on the surface if making multiple dives. What I hear is.... warmth or comfort really depends on the diver and his/her perception of "COLD". In the tropics... I could go in my birthday suit, but someone who lives their might be in a dry suit! Here...a 5/3 but someone visiting from a "better climate":wink: might think that is just insane and not warm enough! With that....I think your 7mm will serve you well from April through October just stay warm on the surface, and limit your exposure to multiple dives at the beginning and ending of "Northern Wet suit Season".:D

Bruke

Thanks for the response, I have a better understanding now.

If it fits well you should be comfortable for up to an hour at 12C and above. You can go a little colder but the dives get shorter. at 6-7C you'll get 30-40 min max. Any colder than 6C or any longer than an hour and you really need a drysuit.

R..

Semi-pregnant!

:)

I personally wouldnt wear a semi dry (aka wet suit) in water below 15c as i like being lovely and warm and comfortable. Recommendation here is not to wear one below 10c by the agencies.

Glitchrf:
I just purchased a coultri-sub full 7mm semi-dry suit (used), I was just wondering what temperature waters you can go in with this type of suit.

Any input is great, thanks.

As you know this varries a lot from diver to diver. A common break point for wet divers wearing 7mm suits with 2x on the core is 50F. At that point it may be the feet the hands or the baody that gets uncomfortable first. In the Semidry suit you have an nice advantage but only 1X on the core. That said you probably have a good shot at 50F.

We have wet divers making single shore dives in the upper 30s F in 7mm with 2X on the core. They keep to modest depths (<40') and don;t go more than 1 30 minuite dive but they make do and get their fix.

Give it a shot and listen to your body.

Pete

As stated earlier it depends on you your personal threshold to cold.
I have an XCEL 976 (9mm on core etc etc) Semidry and regulaly dive in 14C to 18C for decent dive times, however, start to dive in sub-14C and my times significantly decrease. Below 12C it just becomes nasty !!!!! :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom