Semi-dry wetsuit: Scubapro Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oz_diver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying the Scubapro Scotia wetsuit.
Has anybody some experience (good/bad) with this wetsuit? How's the quality? Are there better semi-dry wetsuits out there?
I will dive mainly around Sydney the next couple of months, so I guess especially in winter it makes sense to have a warmer wetsuit.
Or should I use a drysuit?

I'm happy about any recommendations.

Cheers,
oz_diver

oz_diver:
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying the Scubapro Scotia wetsuit.
Has anybody some experience (good/bad) with this wetsuit? How's the quality? Are there better semi-dry wetsuits out there?
I will dive mainly around Sydney the next couple of months, so I guess especially in winter it makes sense to have a warmer wetsuit.
Or should I use a drysuit?

I'm happy about any recommendations.

Cheers,
oz_diver

Oz... I can't speak from experience but this weekend, I was out with my dive club and I think 6 out of the 20 of us had the Scotia semi-dry. Water temp was about 16c. I was going to get one myself for this weekend but the shop didn't have an XL in stock (plus we've only got maybe another month of this cold water)... So I ended up diving with my scubapro thermal tec 5mm wetsuit with a 2mm hood vest. During the surface interval, let's say those wearing the Scotia were looking quite warm and somewhat dry where I was looking a bit chilly! (fortunately my windbreaker and some hot tea helped)... I did try the Scotia on at a shop (but the Large was too small for my shoulders). Looking over the suit, its well designed and built. It wasn't too hard to get into (its only 6.5mm). Arms, legs, and neck have very nice seals. Some of the club members have had theirs for years with no problems. The zipper seems to do a good job, but you'll need someone to help zipping up.

Another guy on the boat had a brand new O'neal. He seemed pretty happy as well. The O'neal was front zip vs shoulder zipper on the Scubapro.

G'day oz_diver,
Its the fastest moving suit at my local, and on there's always at least 4 or 5 on every boat I'm on, although I don't have one myself. I've actually posted in another thread asking to compare it against the Beuchat semi-dry sport (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=130297) but no help so far. So I figure I'll try both on, and if there doesn't seem to be much difference I'll go for the Beuchat, only because I'd rather be in a different suit to everyone else.

Good point that pakman made, in that everyone I dive with that has a shoulder zip semi-dry has needed a hand zipping it up, and sometimes unzipping, whereas with my front zip jacket I can don and doff it without anyone's help.

Jason Ooi, pakman, froop,
thanks for your posts. I tried the Scotia size L at my LDS yesterday. Unfortunately this one was too tight and a XL was not available. But the first impression was already really good. Nice design and good quality. It was not too hard to get in, but indeed you need help for the shoulder zip. But that's not a problem when you dive with a buddy.
My LDS should get a XL the next few days and then I will give it another try.
I will let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom