Semi-dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I was planning on getting a 7mm semi-dry suit as I dive in Melbourne and it gets to about 8C in winter and was wondering what are good brands. I was thinking a Beauchat one as a few people I dive with recommend them so was wondering what people thought? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a really decent semi-dry suit of that thickness? I am prepared to get a really good one as I have been told 'don't skimp on the wetsuit!' by a few experienced divers I know. :)

Thanks,
Sarah

as you are a melbourne diver, i would suggest skip the wetsuit and go straight to a drysuit - trust me, a warm diver is a diver happy to do multiple dives in winter! :D

otherwise, a sydney manufacture is Seatec Product Catalogue and he has an EXCELLENT name in the sydney dive industry, he makes great semidrys!

cheers

I dove an Xcel 7/8/9 mm semi-dry for several years year-round in Northern California (more like 50 degrees F / 10 degrees C, but sometimes as cold as 8 C). I think it set me back about $400 US. It was a great suit (I still use it for freediving), but I still gotta say, the comfort it afforded me was NOTHING like what I now get out of a drysuit. So I'm going to second almitywife: if you're going to be diving a lot, go for a drysuit sooner rather than later.

best,
steve

I am diving in 20C water at the moment in a 5mm wetsuit without a hood and I overheat so I didn't think a drysuit would be necessary? My dives never really go more than 40-60mins and I doubt they will for a fair while given my newbie air consumption. A few people I know regularly dive in Melbourne and Sydney in winter and say a drysuit is not required as I tolerate the cold well (spent a lot of time swimming off the West coast of Ireland in bathers as a child!) and don't spend that long diving... They all use 7mm semi-dry suits.

Anyway, if it is a bad idea to put off getting a drysuit I am open to suggestion but I would still like to get a wetsuit for my current diving.

Thanks for suggestions so far :)

Love my Tilos 7/5 semi-dry...great price and works like a champ!!

Attachments

• PICT0094[1].JPG
    PICT0094[1].JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 57
Hi Sas, I did Portsea hole a couple of weeks ago in a rented 7mm, no hood or gloves and I was a bit chilly - temp was 17. I do tend to feel the cold, though. Personally, I'm going to skip the wetsuit for diving locally and go straight for a drysuit. On the other hand, I've got a couple of mates from NZ who are diving in temps similar to ours and they're both quite happy with their semi-drys (one of them feels the cold even worse than me!)

Is it an option for you to rent one to try it out first?

Amen on the drysuit.

If you dive once every other month, you can make do with a semi-dry or two-piece 7mm. But if you dive more than that, it's well worth the extra money to go dry. And with the $4-500 you'll pay for a good semi-dry, you can cover more than a third the cost of a great drysuit.

Since you're in the 0-24 dive range, I say give it until 25-30 dives to make sure it's something you want to make such an investment in. But if it is, you won't regret it!

If you wanna dive 8c water Id definetly go for a drysuit. Adjusting the undergarment there is no problem diving 20+ celcius water dry either, just dont don the suit before the rest of the gear :wink:

Hmm given what people here are saying I might consider getting a drysuit in a few months then if I start feeling the cold. It is not a hassle financially for me to get a drysuit in two or three months (it is at the moment tho!), but I would like a suit very soon as I am getting a few specialties done and have a lot of dives planned. I hate using borrowed wetsuits!

I spoke to the guy at my local LDS and he is going to put together a deal with a few bits of equipment and some courses. They do stock the Beauchat 7mm, so might go with that one as I have heard very good things about it for Melbourne diving. Will try it out and see how I like the fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom