Semi Dry suit for use in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndeeGee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm about to buy a 7mm Two Piece Semidry suit for use in the UK for £50. Will I get cold diving in the UK with this suit and should I forget about semi dry and spend more on a dry suit. The price is a deciding factor for me one one hand but I don't want to buy something that I won't use.
thanks for your help
AndeeGee

I baught a 7mm semi dry with 5mm over jacket and I wore it once in the UK - and that was down south!!

I've got a membrane dry suite which I have worn everywhere from Stoney in winter to Japan with the air temp in the 30's and water temp 23.

I really think it is the best bit of kit I ever baught.....

I know price is a factor for you but if you are diving in the UK I really think it is a better bet.

Good luck
Jonathan

Thanks for the reply.
So what you're saying is the semi dry suit will be too cold to use in the UK? or did you just get a dry suit anyway because you could?
I can't work out if the dry suit (with boots) will be any good for diving in the UK.
Do you know (or anyone else) what conditions are best for a 2 piece 7mm semi dry suit?
Thanks again for your help and knowledge.
take it easy
AndeeGee

If you are going to dive the "season" then a semi dry should be fine. If your season like mine is 365 days a year rather than 100 then at some stage you will be cold (even in a dry suite for that matter).

It also comes down to personal tolerances - I have, shall we say, a certain mount of insulation built in and probably could dive a semi most of the year in the UK - I know others that do.

There is also the convenience of the dry suite:
* You only have to dry your head and hands afer the dive
* No putting on cold, wet suites after a break if you take it off
* If you get a membrane suite you can wear as little or much underneath. In the UK winter I wear a 100g thinsulate plus leggings and a couple of T shirts - in the summer shorts and T.

I was also lucky that I picked mine up in a sale GBP350.

A two piece 7mm (is that both pieces 7mm - if so) should keep you toasty underwater down to about 10 - 14 degrees depending on your comfort factor. One of the other problems in the UK is the wind chill on the surface in a wet semi dry - get a cheap windcheater from Millets (a couple of sizes too big) , a wooly hat and some thinsulate gloves and that should be sorted.

It the UK don't worry about making fashion statements - worry about being fit enough to do the next dive, even if that means looking like a numpty on occasion!!

Enjoy

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,
I'll go ahead and buy the semi dry. I don't feel the cold as much as most people and I don't plan on diving in freezing water just yet.
Your advice has been really useful thanks again.
take it easy

AndeeGee

AndeeGee

You've seen my replies to your PMs but Jonathan's advice is sound.

Regards

Whats the temperature like in the water over in the UK?
I'm here in Australia and the water is 15 degrees C at the moment.
I'm diving in a semidry but it's not warm enough.
Thinking of buying a drysuit.

Apparently the water temperature is 18C on the South Coast at the mo. Still, IMHO cold enough to use a drysuit!

Talking to people who dive in a wetsuit, it's not so much the dive itself, more the time in between dives that makes using a wetsuit such a pain.

I've done one dive in a wetsuit in this country (and it was in Scotland, in Winter...) and I will never do it again, short of Global Warming making us the next Red Sea!

I pretty much tell everybody I meet who is learning to dive to skip the wetsuit and go straight to dry. Saves money and a lot of hassle in the long run...

Chris

I think yo're probably right. Instead of buying a wet or semi dry suit I'll just jump to the next level and get a dry one.
thanks again
andeegee

Back
Top Bottom