Semi-dry Suit for Puget Sound Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongoscuba

Reaction score
I am looking at a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry Suit for diving in the Puget Sound area. I am wondering what are some of your opinions of this suit, I realize I will eventually want to upgrade to a dry suit, but would this suit be a good starting suit to dive in the sound?
Will it be warm enough? Are there better suits out there for the same price range?

I don't have experience with that suit, but just as an FYI, keep your eyes peeled here and ebay for used drysuits. I got mine for $300 and my bro got one for about the same. Size is obviously the issue, but if you're somewhat standard, then good drysuits pop up a lot.

Anyway, you can get a drysuit for the price of a good wetsuit a lot of times. Good luck! :D

If you're going to dive in a wetsuit or semi-dry in the Sound (and a lot of people do) you will probably want a double layered outfit - a farmer john with a step-in jacket. Most of the people who dive here have that sort of setup, since it keeps your core quite a bit warmer than a one-piece.

Be sure to check out the Puget Sound Orca Bait forum for dive buddies and local info!

mongoscuba:
I am looking at a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry Suit for diving in the Puget Sound area. I am wondering what are some of your opinions of this suit, I realize I will eventually want to upgrade to a dry suit, but would this suit be a good starting suit to dive in the sound?
Will it be warm enough? Are there better suits out there for the same price range?
Dude, its impossible for anyone else to tell you whether a given suit will keep you warm enough.

Whats "warm enough" varies too significantly from individual to individual, and comfort is an entirely subjective sensation.

The water in the Sound varies between low 40s to mid 60s seasonally, except below 100' or so when its nearly always in the 40s year 'round. People who dive wet in the sound are hardy souls, especially during that second dive (or third).

I recently returned from a trip to Hoodsport, and after about 50 minutes in 43 degree water I was definitely up for some hot soup. I was wearing a DUI 450 and a weezle.

It varies from trip to trip and diver to diver.

Best advice is that for the price of the suit you're considering, you may well be able to find a used drysuit. I'd hold out for the drysuit.

But that's me.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

Doc

I have to agree with Doc...hold out for a drysuit.
Temps vary here by just a few degrees and I wear a weezle undergarment, dry gloves, argon, fleece and a CF 200...YES!!! I get cold in the winter and minimize in the summer.
But DRY is the way to go.
Kirsten

Doc Intrepid:
Dude, its impossible for anyone else to tell you whether a given suit will keep you warm enough.
Maybe not, but it's a darn good bet the answer is, no.

Especially if you get below 60' and that suit starts to squeeze down to about nothing.

I was wearing a semi-dry 7mm with a hooded vest when I got hypothermia in the Sound. It was August when the Sound has some of the warmest water temps of the year.

It was about 90 degrees outside, and I was roasting like a pig waiting for my buddy to finish kitting up. Then we went right down to the I-Beams at 100' where my wet-suit compressed and the water temps were cold.

I didn't stop shaking 'till 2am.

My next dive in the Sound was with a used dry suit, and I've never looked back.

Was just diving with someone in a brand new semi dry. Don't know the brand, wasn't paying attention, but it did look to be good quality. He came out of the water with teeth chattering and not at all comfortable. Second dive after a 90 min surface interval he was even colder. This is supposed to be fun not a test of endurance.

Save up for the dry suit. If you are average build keep a lookout for a used one.

I have been in the water here in a really good cold water wetsuit and it just convinced me to give up cold water diving for about 20 years.

In a 7mm one piece wetsuit with hood I can survive one winter dive in Hood Canal (with the water temperature >=50). The second dive is just plain evil since you are already really chilled.

IMO if you plan to do year round diving and several dives per day, save your pennies and get a new or used drysuit. There are plenty on ebay if you are sure they will fit you.

If you want to dive regularly and enjoy yourself then go dry. Sooner or later your "dry" suit will get you wet, but you'll still be warmer than if you were in a semi dry.

I just tried this on tonight, I actually liked it a lot, may grab one.

PINNACLE AQUATICS Polar 7mm Semi-Dry

200504_chill_150c.jpg
PINNACLE AQUATICS Polar 7mm Semi-DryThe Pinnacle Polar is a true semi-dry suit that's all good. Entry is made easy with a horizontal front zip, ankle zips and the patented Merino soft lining. There are also double ankle cuffs that allow the wearer to roll one like a dry suit while the other is zipped down over your boot. Long internal forearm gaskets and wrist seals keep water out as does the horizontal front zip, which is defended by a skin-to-skin seal and backed by a unique neoprene dam built into the pull-down hood and shoulders. The suit is primarily 7mm titanium neoprene with 5mm panels in the extremities for flexibility. Seams are glued and blindstitched with internal seam ends taped. A 10mm spine and kidney pad add comfort while heavy-duty rubber knee and shoulder pads protect the exterior. Flex panels in the arms and behind the knees increase your range of movement, and the vented hood has a skin-in seal that can be easily trimmed. The attention to detail and comfort of this semi-dry made it a natural for our Testers' Choice list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom