Semi-dry or Superstretch...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to get a wetsuit to dive colder water (my Lanier Looney birds know what I'm talking about). I'm currently looking at 7mm wetsuits from my LDS. I'm looking at a SeaElite 7/5 semi-dry that zips from the shoulders across the chest. Looks toasty!

I'm also looking a full 7mm suit that is "super stretch". I'm not sure which would keep me warm and be very comfortable.

If you have experience with both or either sound off and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I used a well fitting Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm full suit and core warmer to dive Catalina. The suit pumped water like crazy due to a lack of neck, wrist, and ankle seals. If you are diving colder water, go with the semi-dry. That is what all the well equipped divers that were not using drysuits were wearing in and around Catalina.

cmm1970:
I used a well fitting Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm full suit and core warmer to dive Catalina. The suit pumped water like crazy due to a lack of neck, wrist, and ankle seals. If you are diving colder water, go with the semi-dry. That is what all the well equipped divers that were not using drysuits were wearing in and around Catalina.

okay,
yeah the semi-dry has double seals at the wrists, ankles and even a double at the neck. The pumping of water was what I was wondering about. I had sorta settled on the semi-dry but wanted some feedback from thoes who have used the hyperstretch material.

Jeremy

Have you tried the semi-dry on yet? It will be warmer but harder to get in and out of. If you can get it on and off reasonably, go for the semi-dry.

Jackie

My vote goes to the semi. I use a Mares and love it. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be as tight as a regular wet suit.

Jeremy's seen me in my Semi-Dry, it works wonders. I dive in a pinnacle polar. I do need help both donning and doffing it, but that is no big deal since I don't solo dive.. :)

Matt

I do have to agree with the doffing at least. I can't seem to find an easy way to get the suit off my feet... any suggestions?

I'd worry about the "5" part of a 7/5mm suit. You want at least 7mm all around.
I dive in So Cal. Water currently is high 50's and my Body Glove 7mm with a hooded vest under it is fine. Fit is everything

JKSteger:
Looking to get a wetsuit to dive colder water (my Lanier Looney birds know what I'm talking about). I'm currently looking at 7mm wetsuits from my LDS. I'm looking at a SeaElite 7/5 semi-dry that zips from the shoulders across the chest. Looks toasty!

I'm also looking a full 7mm suit that is "super stretch". I'm not sure which would keep me warm and be very comfortable.

If you have experience with both or either sound off and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I started diving in cold quarries here in Ohio last summer and purchased a semi-dry suit from Aquaflite www.aquaflite.com and have been very impressed with the suit, service, and speed of delivery. They have stock sizes and will custom fit for $80. I got one with their Oceanliner lining. The suit is super flexible, easy to get on and off, and dries almost instantly (real important on that second or third dive). If I remember correctly they shipped in 2 days. Give them a call.

Bob J

My vote would be for Semi-dry dove with hyperstrech and way to much flow.

Back
Top Bottom