Semi-Dry Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're open 10-5 on Saturday. Closed Sundays. M-F is 11-9.

I was a little confused by the term "semi dry" until I bought one. Let's be very clear, it is an actual wetsuit. The semi-dry suits have better seals to limit water exchange, but you will actually be fully wet. I have the Hollis Neotek and it's a good suit. I find it easy to get into and it's comfortable down to about 55 degrees F. Everyone's cold tolerance is different, but I certainly wouldn't consider my neotek adequate for a dive under 55 F for any length of time.

That's very good to know. I was definitely a little confused on the actual amount of water kept out. I'm not too worried about being wet during the dive, I imagine it isn't too pleasant in between dives though. How's the heat retention on the surface?

the water exchange in my neotek suit is very minimal. I have taken my suit off after a dive and my shorts were still dry.

I will highly suggest a used drysuit. I saw quite a few White 2nd hand suit for sale on the $5xx range. It maybe a bit over your budget for now, but it will be cheaper than if you buy a semi-dry now, and realized it doesn't keep you warm, then go for a drysuit at that time. Semi-dry is a wetsuit, it performs much closer to wetsuit than dry.

I own (5 years+) a Scubapro Nova Scotia that I purchased before I moved to a drysuit. They are very durable and provide exceptional thermal protection for a SD. I use a 5mm hoodie with the suit and occasional still dive the suit if I don't feel like a drysuit.

The suit seal's so well that if you don't flush in some water the suit will severely squeeze you at depth with bruises as proof. They are very expensive but worth the $$ IMO.

@Kevo88, like all wetsuits, you'll start to get chilled after a while on the surface wearing a neotek, and this will happen pretty quick if there is any wind blowing. I bought a surf fur to wear over my wetsuit when it's cold. That has probably been the best money I've spent so far on dive gear!

Awesome advice guys, thank you! @eelnoraa, The dry suit is still an option if I can find something at a doable price. It's a tuff sell though while still trying to accumulate gear. I'd imagine I would have a much longer diving season if I had one.

@RyanT those surf fur parkas look pretty good. I definitely could have used one during my OW training dives when I was standing around in a farmer John after getting out of 40something degree water.

I'm guessing hot useful the neotek is depends on fit and anatomy? Seems like some people get wet like a wetsuit while others stay mostly dry. I've heard both of these on the boad and IRL.

I have a lot of experience diving when $ are a limiting factor. My best choices came when I saved and researched and saved some more, then was able to spring on fantastic deals cash in hand. Old habits die hard, so even though I'm much more able now to buy what I want, I still bargain hunt with the best of 'em. Last year I got a Waterproof 7mm semi-dry new for $175 shipped. I dive it comfortably to ~90' in ~46* water, but my hands start getting cold after about 45 min in 7mm gloves so I won't deco in it (in those temps). I'm a tough old bird tho, so ymmv. Good hunting

Well I stopped into DRIS and bought some stuff. Guys working were great and very informative!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom