Semi-Dry Options???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

train_ga

Registered
Reaction score
Im heading to Galapagos next July and am looking to invest in a semi-dry and want to get something for a dry run (no pun intended) in keys this winter. I have a 5 mil (SP Streamer) and a 3 mil (H2 Hyperstretch). I really like my SP but can't settle on what to get. My wife has the SP Nova Scotia (6.5 mil) and has no complaints - can anyone else weigh in or give other favs? What about the custom fitting route - Im so confused. I dont see myself putting a ton of miles on a semi-dry as I dive pretty warm and will only use for destination diving where necessary.

Thx in advance.

If you are not going to use it much I would consider renting at your destination dives. Find a couple of different brands that fit well and see if your destination dive shops carry them and then just rent. Keeps you from dragging around wet wetsuits in your gear and saves on weight and bulk when traveling. A thin suit is a different story. Take your own and don't sweat the issues as it is easier to pack etc. A thicker suit and especially a semi-dry (more seals, thicker zipper area, pre-bent knees and elbows) takes up a lot of bulk space and is harder to pack.

If you must have your own suit due to sizing issues (like me) then look around a various semi-dry suits. I looked at Henderson, Mares, SP, Aqualung, Pinnacle and finally chose a Waterproof because it was the best fit and the best value for the money. It fits me like a custom and is very warm. I get just a trickle of water in around the neck without a hood and none with a hood. It is also a very well designed and built suit.

The Novascotia and the Aqualung are also fine suits. As is the Pinnacle Kodiak and the other higher ends suits in their line. They just did not fit my pear-shaped body as well and were harder to get on and off. I need wrist and ankle zippers so that was also a major criteria for me. The Henderson H2 was nice but I am not crazy about ultra stretch suits with no seals and longevity is also a concern with these type of suits.

It is all about fit. Everything else is secondary.

I have a Scuba Pro NovaScotia that I use in Puget Sound (Salish Sea) in the summer . It is a very well made suit, fits great, easy to get into, looks good and is warm. The seals work so well, that if you start your dive with any trapped air in the suit it takes effort to vent it.

Could use pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom