Semi-dry 7mm vs. Farmer John 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ndemeis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently moving and changing dive locations so i am in need of a new suit. I currently dive with a 5mm Farmer john and that keeps me warm until i hit the mid 50's then it gets a bit cold so i'm looking into getting anew suit. I was wondering which is warmer the 7mm farmer john (or 7mm suit with a vest) or a 7mm semi-dry suit? Would love a dry suit but don't have the money.

Hi ndemeis

When you say a Farmer John, are talking about a farmer john and shorty or jacket? I would go with a semi dry jumpsuit, and if you need more warmth you can always add a vest or short sleeve shorty over it. I like the jumpsuit because it offers full body protection with total warmth. When you have a farmer john and jacket you always have to have booth pieces on to have full body protection. I dive with a suit by Wetwear and I love it. Check out their website or give them a call.
Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

I have the Henderson "semi-dry" and I agree that if you need a bit more you can always add a vest.

One other thing I really appreciate about it is the integrated hood. Water flow is so good that I have to pre-flood the suit because after about 10-15 feet down, even unzipped I can't get water to flow through it.

When I worked at the shop I put a woman into one because she said she NEVER felt warm in 55-65 water.

She came back and told me that she even had to get out earlier than she wanted because her husband was cold.

The only reason I don't wear mine more is that I went dry. But it is still a great suit.

i have a 7mm farmer john, and a Mares Semi-dry (7mm)....the semi is by far a better investment. It's still 7mm, is one piece, doesn't feel nearly as thick or bulky, the wrist and neck seals help restrict water flow significantly. the only negative is I need someone to zip me up as it has a back zipper. I also dive with less weight with the semi...with my SS backplate I need no additional weight in freshwater...i'm perfectly neutral.

I have a drysuit now, but i'll still use the semi for mid 70's diving, as it's such a great suit.

Back
Top Bottom