Self-servicing of regulator leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I service my gear myself. I always test dive in a pool afterwards and as well, I test all gear prior to any (expensive) trip.

I would not let whatever hack who serviced the regulator the last two times ever touch it a third time.

I did recently have a regulator damaged when they gate checked my bag. A brand new, pool tested, HP hose was kinked and ruined. It began leaking during my trip and had to be replaced.

N

Just meant that, while waiting to jump in, the starting tank pressure of around 3000 psi dropped to 2700 or so, not breathing with the regulator.

Problem around here, New Hampshire, is few shops and NO local diving for me (so no easy testing) - I'm a strictly warm water diver....

Just meant that, while waiting to jump in, the starting tank pressure of around 3000 psi dropped to 2700 or so, not breathing with the regulator.

Problem around here, New Hampshire, is few shops and NO local diving for me (so no easy testing) - I'm a strictly warm water diver....

Was that pressure drop with the valve turned on or off?

... Problem around here, New Hampshire, is few shops and NO local diving for me (so no easy testing) - I'm a strictly warm water diver....

There are a number of ways to dry-test regs, but you need a tank: after I service a reg, I check the cracking pressure, the IP value, creep, etc., then I turn off the air with both the IP gauge and the SPG on; both readings should stay the same for hours, if not for days. In rare circumstances where the leak is hard to trace, I throw the whole setup in the bath tub. Just had a bad case like that: the BCD hose and the SPG hose are both leaking! :)

But then, when travelling, I always carry at least 1 full spare set for the 4 of us.

The pool at the Y is usually warm.

N

Around here pool don't like divers. So the y is a no go.
however, once a month the lds does pool work at the university. I give him 50 to cover the pool fee and a couple tanks of air. I help with students (if needed) and get a refresher sign off.
1. I get practice
2. I check out my gear
3. I get a sign off in case any operators are tough on time since last dive
4. I get to spend a couple hours underwater and warm on a cold winter day.
The 50 is cheap insurance your ready for your trip.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

And yes, I've stripped down a second stage after service to fix a leak. It was really much easier than I expected. Sourcing parts is tough though.

If you can't find a pool, you can usually give it an adequate test of the regulator in a bath tub. No logbook required.

if you want to service or Check a serviced Regulator before diving , best two things you can use are Tank of water (bucket or bath) and a Intermediate pressure gauge (available online or dive shows for like $20 plug in BCD hose) the tank of water can show you if really a o-ring or hose and the intermediate pressure gauge will tell you if first stage or 2nd stage at fault , could be second stage leaking but 1st stage causing it to leak. I have serviced 1000's regs (all daily work in a Dive center with couple hundred regs) and fixed customers for free while on holiday when usually they have just had a Service - first thing i always do put on a FULL (never low) tank and plug in intermediate pressure gauge , needle tells me everything ..

Regulator has been checked at a different shop (in business 45 years), showed a crack in the housing for the back-up regulator and some other maintenance needs. Will be returned rebuilt and ready to go for "2-3 years". Glad I got this done now, finally! Did NOT want to be fretting on a Belizian atoll for 10 days. And YES, he tests in a tank!

Thanks again for all the good feedback! :D

Back
Top Bottom