Self-servicing of regulator leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosReid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The two times I put my octo in my checked luggage I ended up with a problem. I hate to carry it it in the carry-on because it always raises eyebrows in security checks, but I will from now on. The question now is whether a small leak in the secondary regulator is anything I can/should even approach, or are such things ALWAYS left to the experts? The equipment is an older US Divers set which was serviced prior to both trips when trouble occurred. Not sure if the shop could be to blame, or the airline baggage handling system... Thanks.

If the reg is leaking right after service I would put my money on the shop not checking it out after service for leaks. If packed properly, airline travel should have no affect on a regulator.

In terms of fixing the problem, it really depends on where the leak is occurring.

Where is the leak ?

Jim...

Packing a reg in checked should not make it any more likely to wind up with a leak. Regs are most likely to have problems right after servicing, 99.9% sure that is what happened to you. Just a coincidence if it happened when you checked and not when you carried it on.

As far as carrying on a reg, I almost always do unless I'm traveling on some carrier with insanely small carryon limits. Once in awhile they want to see it, usually they don't. No big deal. (Boston or Manchester, probably the same airports you use.)

Thanks - I'll try to get this!

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 09:55 AM ----------

I was getting ready for my first dive of this last trip when I noticed that my pressure was dropping. Fellow next to me could apparently hear the leak, but in the excitement of getting the reg swapped out, discussing repair possibilities after the dive, etc., I never tested the leak for myself... After some discussion about having the whole thing taken into "town" at an unspecified price I gave up and used a rental reg.

It would seem prudent to take this to another dive shop, since this is the second time this has happened (although the first timewas the primary and I nearly drowned on a check-out dive - diaphragm was in sideways...). I think the main lesson to be learned from this is to be able to accurately assess the situation if not fix it one's self.

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on this - VERY helpful!

That's what you get for 'leaving it to the experts' :D

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pressure dropping' but I suspect you mean you hooked up the reg, pressurized it, turned the tank off, then watched the SPG needle drop to zero. This is most often caused by a leak at the tank o-ring, but you might have a first stage leak, either at the yoke connector (not that uncommon) or something else in the HP area, maybe in the SPG hose or spool. A leak in the IP area would also cause the SPG gauge to drop, but probably not as quickly.

Anyhow, bring it back to the shop and politely remind them that this is the second time they've screwed up servicing on your reg, get them to fix it, and then find another shop.

I'd say buy your stuff at the place that will service it. Then, after it is serviced, you need to do a test dive. I had a similar experience with a reg that I had not bought locally. A local shop did the service, and bothched it (re-using parts that were supposed to be replaced). I have since swapped out all my gear to a reputable shop, who services what they sell - no more issues in 6 years....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom