self-entry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naiya:
I actually first went to a DUI retailer and priced up the CF-200 suit. I was convinced to go that route, i.e. if you are going to make the investment then go top of the line? But the price difference is like $3400 (new) Cdn for the DUI and around $2000-2200 Cdn for other manufacturers. Thanks for the response though, it is good to hear you have success with that suit.

Naiya,

I can understand your reluctance to choose an item with that kind of price difference due, no doubt, to the exchange rate.

Cheers!

Rob

Al Mialkovsky:
I had a self entry suit, hated it. Now I have the 4 mil crushed Whites 45th Anniversary special with rear entry and love it. Man am I toasty in there.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the self-entry?

I have a Bare ATR-HD, it is front zipper style. New, it was tough to get the zipper started over my left shoulder. Now with some use, I can get in and out of it myself, and do. Never had a back entry, so I can't make the comparison. But, I do like to be as self sufficient as possible. Even with a buddy.

Al Mialkovsky:
I had a self entry suit, hated it. Now I have the 4 mil crushed Whites 45th Anniversary special with rear entry and love it. Man am I toasty in there.

Al,

You son't say why you hated your self-entry, but I am a Public Safety Diver Instructor. There are lots of times where you are the only guy standing there who knows what you are with your stuff. You need to be able to get it all on by yourself and get to the water. Self-entry works for me! :crafty:

naiya:
I was looking at the 45th in front entry but they discontinued that model, I haven't ruled out the rear entry completely.. what water temps do you dive & what underwear do you use? Why did you hate the self entry, was it neoprene as well?
The self entry was tough to get into. I had to really crank my head over towards my shoulder, it was more trouble than it was worth.

I dive with just a swmining suit until it gets under 60. I was in 44 degree water this weekend and had the fleece on my legs and torso but nothing on my arms and I was fine. My fingers were cold after awhile is all. With the full fleece I can dive in any temps and be comfortable. I really like it as it's so well made.

I can get into my rear entry by myself if needed. I keep the zipper well waxed and use a little dog leash, works great and I'm not all that limber :)
With that crushed shell I'm not using much weight either, that's nice. I use half of the weight my buddy does and he dives with the non crushed Seasoft suit.

Has to be crushed.

naiya:
Hi, I'm looking for some experienced advice on a drysuit option. I am looking to get my first suit, and would really like self-entry. I am not finding many manufacturers doing 4mm compressed neoprene & self-entry though, according to one there were issues with that combination & they had to discontinue it. I'll be diving in 34-50F water (year-round diving) and log 80+ dives a year. I'm interested if anyone has a self-entry suit diving similar conditions, and can share their experience or recommend their suit model?

thanks!
Self entry my bottom? Well they are if you have the subtle body of a 14 yr old russian gymnast!
I own a Northen Diver 4mm compressed self entry(self loathing) is a royal pain in the as#$ to in or out of, the front zipper is ok until I have to get the last tiny bit pulled up or out of the final over the shoulder bit, I have rigged a clip and strap to get me out I clip it to the rear door strut in the van and get the last bit post dive.
After all of my complains I have found the problem! the huge spare tyre stored around my middle which causes mobility problems.( strange but true)
And if I had to choose now I would have got the standard suit entry on the whole a great suit but I would say not another self donner

well, I met with my LDS today to review options.. I'm sticking with self-entry as a priority (I don't have a huge spare tire around my middle) :) and the majority of feedback I have says to go with neoprene for warmth.. so to get that with a custom fit actually ruled out anything Whites has to offer - too bad. btw I hear Whites will be coming out with a 2mm hyper-compressed neoprene front-entry suit in the Spring but that's too late for me. So the other options through this LDS are Atlan Catalina and Sea-Tux Sport. I'm leaning to the Sea-Tux for the better warranty coverage and I can get a better package deal.. of course I would love to hear any opinions on Sea-Tux or their Sport model!

Hey there...

Glad to hear your are well on your way to picking out a new drysuit. Hope that you have great luck with whatever suit you end up getting... not that luck should be a part of it... but you never can tell with those "Monday morning" and "Friday afternoon" ones :wink: (hee hee).

I wouldn't worry toooooo much about all self-entry problems people seem to experience.. my hubby (6'3", 225lbs+) is not a 'russian gymnast' or a contortionist.. and he doesn't seem to have any problems. Nor do any of our friends with self entry suits. As for me, I'm still getting used to what angle to pull the zipper at.. but no complaints yet :wink:

happy dry diving..
navydoll :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom