self-entry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naiya

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some experienced advice on a drysuit option. I am looking to get my first suit, and would really like self-entry. I am not finding many manufacturers doing 4mm compressed neoprene & self-entry though, according to one there were issues with that combination & they had to discontinue it. I'll be diving in 34-50F water (year-round diving) and log 80+ dives a year. I'm interested if anyone has a self-entry suit diving similar conditions, and can share their experience or recommend their suit model?

thanks!

I have a couple of tri-lam self entry suits but lately I prefer a neoprene suit even if I have to go with a back of the shoulder zipper.

Personally, I think the fit is much better with a back entry suit as you do not need any extra torso lenght as you do with a self entry zipper.

And, unless you are solo diving, there is really no need for the self entry design. Getting into a back entry suit, you need a buddy to zip it, but if a great white eats the buddy during the dive, all you need to get out is a bolt snap on 3 or 4 ft of line, or alternatively, your reel.

Hi...

I live and dive primarily in the southern Vancouver Island area. Most of my diving is in water where the temperature ranges from 44F to 54F.

I bought my first drysuit a little over a year ago. It is a back-entry, 6mm crushed neoprene suit with neoprene neckseal, latex wrist seals and attached boots. Being fairly new to diving and this being my first drysuit, I took the advice of people at the LDS... who told me it would be warmer for someone like me... who seems to lose heat really easily!

The transition from wet to dry was great... and I WAS warmer. However, as my diving improved... and my dives routine reached 50+minutes I found I wasn't warm anymore :(
I tried adding layers of clothing, but that didn't work particularly well... I was a bit warmer but I could barely move :p

This past weekend I tried a shell and fleece... and was sold. I found a great deal on a new White's Catalyst and made an impulse buy!! The suit is self-entry with soft sock. I've had the chance to dive it once this week... 62minutes... and the only parts that got realllllly cold were the tips of my fingers and toes!!

My recommendation... if you have the extra money available is to buy a good quality shell and some warm undies! I wish I had done that in the first place!!

hope my 2cents worth helps :)

NavyDoll

naiya:
Hi, I'm looking for some experienced advice on a drysuit option. I am looking to get my first suit, and would really like self-entry. I am not finding many manufacturers doing 4mm compressed neoprene & self-entry though, according to one there were issues with that combination & they had to discontinue it. I'll be diving in 34-50F water (year-round diving) and log 80+ dives a year. I'm interested if anyone has a self-entry suit diving similar conditions, and can share their experience or recommend their suit model?

thanks!

Naiya,

I have not one but two DUI crushed neoprene CF-200 drysuits. One was bought used for $4oo USD. Both of them have front entry zippers. They are extremely comfortable, and I have no trouble getting in and out of them without anyone else giving a hand. They work extremely well with the Polar-Tec undies.

Try: www.dui-online.com

Cheers! :yelclap:

DA Aquamaster:
I have a couple of tri-lam self entry suits but lately I prefer a neoprene suit even if I have to go with a back of the shoulder zipper.

Personally, I think the fit is much better with a back entry suit as you do not need any extra torso lenght as you do with a self entry zipper.

And, unless you are solo diving, there is really no need for the self entry design. Getting into a back entry suit, you need a buddy to zip it, but if a great white eats the buddy during the dive, all you need to get out is a bolt snap on 3 or 4 ft of line, or alternatively, your reel.

actually I do intend to solo dive at some point so need that independence, I appreciate that tip about the bolt snap though! :) How do you find the difference in dive comfort between the tri-lam & neoprene? I've been told to go with neoprene for the extra warmth, but then I also hear folks saying the underwear makes the difference with tri-lam and they like the greater range of motion.

thanks,
naiya

BigJetDriver69:
Naiya,

I have not one but two DUI crushed neoprene CF-200 drysuits. One was bought used for $4oo USD. Both of them have front entry zippers. They are extremely comfortable, and I have no trouble getting in and out of them without anyone else giving a hand. They work extremely well with the Polar-Tec undies.

Try: www.dui-online.com

Cheers! :yelclap:

I actually first went to a DUI retailer and priced up the CF-200 suit. I was convinced to go that route, i.e. if you are going to make the investment then go top of the line? But the price difference is like $3400 (new) Cdn for the DUI and around $2000-2200 Cdn for other manufacturers. Thanks for the response though, it is good to hear you have success with that suit.

NavyDoll:
This past weekend I tried a shell and fleece... and was sold. I found a great deal on a new White's Catalyst and made an impulse buy!! The suit is self-entry with soft sock. I've had the chance to dive it once this week... 62minutes... and the only parts that got realllllly cold were the tips of my fingers and toes!!

My recommendation... if you have the extra money available is to buy a good quality shell and some warm undies! I wish I had done that in the first place!!

hope my 2cents worth helps :)

NavyDoll

Hi NavyDoll, I really appreciate your post and it's making me consider the shell again - I had ruled it out as I just heard how cold folks were using it. I'm currently working with White's to try to find something that will fit me (size & price :wink: so will now consider the Catalyst as well.

thanks,
naiya

I had a self entry suit, hated it. Now I have the 4 mil crushed Whites 45th Anniversary special with rear entry and love it. Man am I toasty in there.

Al Mialkovsky:
I had a self entry suit, hated it. Now I have the 4 mil crushed Whites 45th Anniversary special with rear entry and love it. Man am I toasty in there.

I was looking at the 45th in front entry but they discontinued that model, I haven't ruled out the rear entry completely.. what water temps do you dive & what underwear do you use? Why did you hate the self entry, was it neoprene as well?

naiya:
I actually first went to a DUI retailer and priced up the CF-200 suit. I was convinced to go that route, i.e. if you are going to make the investment then go top of the line? But the price difference is like $3400 (new) Cdn for the DUI and around $2000-2200 Cdn for other manufacturers. Thanks for the response though, it is good to hear you have success with that suit.

We all like to own a DUI CF200 but up here in Canada, that a big investment. Right now I own a White's Catalyst self-entry, This is the first dry-suit that I own that self entry and I would not go back to a back entry suit, because I do dive solo on many occasion. I dive mostly in and around Southern Vancouver Island and I do spend 60-80 minutes in the water and with a good underwear (weezle) the suit keeps me pretty warm even after an hour in the 40 C water. And the best part of it is I payed around 1400$ for it. I've got about a 100 dives with that suit so far and I'm happy with it. One thing to be careful about is the word crush or compressed neoprene. Now a CF 200 (2MM) is truthly a crush neoprene dry suit and a few other like Abyss does make crush neoprene. The rest of them call they suit compressed and crush just to sell more suit.

Cheers

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom