SEI vs. CMAS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjjman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm very excited about the changes taking place in the dive education industry with both SEI and CMAS trying to grow themselves. I hate to do it, but I would like opinions or comparisons of both agencies to each other. (Come on, at least I'm not asking about PADI vs. NAUI!)

I've been thoroughly disappointed by other agencies, even a once well-respected regional agency. That last one really killed any hope I had, but SEI and CMAS have reignited it.

So, anyone? Walter, it would be great if you did a 2009 agency comparison, mirroring the previous one you did, that includes these two.

I'd be happy to do so. I have SEI standards, I don't have CMAS standards. Would anyone like to direct me to where I can get a set? I'm predicting, that while there will be differences, both agencies have high standards.

OK, I'm curious, you've only made 6 posts and have been a member for about 6 months, how do you know about the comparison?

OK, I'm curious, you've only made 6 posts and have been a member for about 6 months, how do you know about the comparison?

Actually I've been a member for almost a year now. I guess I "lurk" more than post. We exchanged some emails late last year and you sent me a copy of the comparison. I'd like to find either an SEI or a CMAS instructor in my area, but there just aren't enough yet. I know they'll be around soon though!

By the way, I looked at the CMAS America's website. I wasn't able to find their standards there. The standards link is a link to describing class basics, not standards. The link Screwbag provided is better, but not much. There are no specifics, it's very general.

That's too bad. Any chance of still being able to draw a comparison out of it?
I guess if nothing else, enrolling in either an SEI or a CMAS course would give me an excellent chance at becoming a great diver. Is that a fair assessment?

I'm sure Walter would agree with me saying yes. As long as you put forth the effort on your part. We can show you the skills and teach you the knowledge to a high standard. It is up to you to develop and refine those skills by diving as much as you can. If you can PM me your specific location I may be able to find an SEI instructor near you. I just received the updated list last week.

As a side note, I also looked at the site today for CMAS. Last year the standards were posted on line. I did note that they revised the website in Jan of this year. They must have removed them then. I know for a fact that it used to list all the requirements for each level for divers and instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom