Seeking Hotel Room Security Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In addition to diving, I also practice amateur photography for a hobby. I can't afford the stuff necessary to bring my Nikon diving, but I still shoot it topside.

I'm trying to decide if I should bring it to Coz with me. In 2015 I decided not to risk it, and just used my cell phone and sealife point and shoot. I didn't bring it because I read all kind of recommendations about "never leave anything of value in your room". The camera is expensive, and I'm not sure it would fit in the room safe. Also, I read several reports indicating hotel safes were not particularly secure anyway. I have some photos from that trip but they're full of mediocrity as a result.

In 2017 I went to Roatan, and decided to risk it. I had no problems. Left the camera in the middle of a pile of miscellaneous junk inside a suitcase that stayed in the room when I was out diving.

What do you guys think of the room security situation in Coz? I left the occasional bit of change out last time I was there and never had any go missing. Nor did I have any of my other stuff disappear (extra regulator, laptop) etc. I'm leaning towards bringing it this time. Am I being foolhardy or just overthinking the issue?

Personally speaking, I always feel like the answer is “50/50” regardless of what island/country I’m on or what hotel/hostel/etc I’m staying at.

I’ve stayed in a wide variety of rooms ranging from A++ to D- and it really is the luck of the draw every time in my opinion and experience. Because of this, my wife and I have never once taken our wedding rings on vacation. However we always take our expensive camera and Scuba gear because even at $10k/whatever it technically can be replaced. We’ve never been hit but we know that that doesn’t mean we never will be.

In Cozumel we’ve always felt safe with leaving our valuables inside the room/inside the room safe and would suggest/advise to you or anyone else asking that one A) only book and stay somewhere you’ll be able to dive with enough comfort about the security of your valuables while your away and B) that if the item in question is either too expensive or too sentimental to bear the burden of potentially losing and replacing then regardless of where you are traveling to that you would best be served by leaving it at home so it will (hopefully and most likely) be there when you return and your mind will be at ease while vacationing. Just my .02 - hope this helps and I hope your enjoy your trip!

my wife and I have never once taken our wedding rings on vacation.
We don't bring our rings either, that just seemed like asking for trouble. We bought those rubber qualo bands to wear when we go on trips.

We don't bring our rings either, that just seemed like asking for trouble. We bought those rubber qualo bands to wear when we go on trips.

Hey now, those are pretty neat! I tend to wear nothing while my wife used to wear a gaudy fake cocktail ring but after a few trips we decided that that ring was equally asking for trouble and we also have a “no shiny dangling objects” rule we hold ourselves to while diving so she also no longer wears anything either but those might be nice to have - thanks for the link!

The only place my room has been vandalized by inside workers was in Whistler! I've traveled the world and never once had an issue...in room safes are now common at most hotels as well....if in Whistler....don't trust the ski town help!

We used hotel room safe in St Croix because hotel staff, cleaners and repair guys, were VERYcasual about leaving guests rooms doors blocked open while they worked and went off to get supplies. Plus our balcony was separated from others by easy climb railings. Left all the dive computers, phones, wallets, prescription masks, money in safe and left all other stuff covered up so no temptation to staff. Also brought all gear into room at night and when not in room, again to avoid visual temptations.

You might consider carrying something like this locked to a water pipe or something hard to remove quickly in the room.
https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-120L-Backpack-Protector-Steel/dp/B004WN9XAO

I think it depends on the situation. In Roatan I locked my laptop to a water pipe when we left as our house was about 10 mins out of town and isolated.

In the BVI's I left it on the bed - along with $4K worth of HD Video gear that I only use while diving. We didn't even lock the villa doors - the mgr. said the locals respected the owner too much to steal from his guests so they'd never needed door keys.

Last edited:
In addition to diving, I also practice amateur photography for a hobby. I can't afford the stuff necessary to bring my Nikon diving, but I still shoot it topside.

I'm trying to decide if I should bring it to Coz with me. In 2015 I decided not to risk it, and just used my cell phone and sealife point and shoot. I didn't bring it because I read all kind of recommendations about "never leave anything of value in your room". The camera is expensive, and I'm not sure it would fit in the room safe. Also, I read several reports indicating hotel safes were not particularly secure anyway. I have some photos from that trip but they're full of mediocrity as a result.

In 2017 I went to Roatan, and decided to risk it. I had no problems. Left the camera in the middle of a pile of miscellaneous junk inside a suitcase that stayed in the room when I was out diving.

What do you guys think of the room security situation in Coz? I left the occasional bit of change out last time I was there and never had any go missing. Nor did I have any of my other stuff disappear (extra regulator, laptop) etc. I'm leaning towards bringing it this time. Am I being foolhardy or just overthinking the issue?
You are over thinking this. You can not predict who will steal what from you. Just use some common sense. Do not leave small and "valuable" stuff in plain sight.

We travel a lot and are pretty careful about stashing real valuables into the room safe (passports, credit cards) or "hiding" stuff in the dirty underwear pile in our suitcase when safes are not available. I also remember having a good laugh with a LOB crew member as they related the story of a fellow passenger that asked for a room key so they could properly protect their valuables!

The only thing I have ever had stolen was a sewing needle. A button came lose on my shirt and I left my mini sewing kit on the table afterwards. The room cleaner stole the needle but left the rest of the kit. I was astounded. This was my first wakeup call regarding the haves and have nots.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just go ahead and bring it.

kelemvor,
I used to have some relatively expensive canon lenses for shooting sports pictures. They were $6000 and $4000 respectively, plus the camera bodies to go with it. I was able to insure all my gear via a rider to my homeowner's policy. The policy was relatively inexpensive and covered theft, acts of stupidity, damage, etc. It gave me great relief to know if someone stole my gear, if I lost it, or if I dropped it on the sidewalk, it was covered. I'd suggest getting an insurance policy, and taking your gear. Nice gear doesn't do you any good sitting at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom