Seeking for the best wheeled bug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueManta

New
Reaction score
Hello All,

After 12 years of solid and reliable service it is time for me to retire my good old Mares bag. Not that it busted or anything... on the contrary. this bag is still in great shape.

however I'm looking to get one with wheels as I'm kinda tired of carrying it on my shoulders (and probably getting older too... :) )

I recently purchased the EVO WHEELED DUFFLE BAG but it looks like a piece of crap and i think I'm going to return it.

I looked at some of the bags by different manufacturers and so far narrowed down to the following models:

Mares - Technomad 135
Armor - #89
Akona - Progression
Oceanic - Voyager 3
Aqualung - Destination or Tropical

Since I'm all set with the gear itself, I really need a good bag. Price is not a big issue, just don't want to deal with broken wheels and busted zippers all the time. If you see my gear you would think i'm fanatic in the way it is kept.

I would love to get some thoughts on anybody's experience, recommendations etc.

Thanks,
Eyal

You might want to look at non-scuba brands too, there's no particular need to get a special scuba bag. (And many people will argue that it's better not to have a scuba logo on the bag - while I don't think theft of used dive gear is exactly rampant in airports, it certainly doesn't hurt to lose the scuba logo.)

We've been using the Eagle Creek ORV trunks for a few years and really like them.

Would you buy a Samsonite regulator? How about an American Tourister BCD? Maybe a TravelPro cannister light?

Of course not!

Then why buy luggage made by a scuba manufacturer?

Would you buy a Samsonite regulator? How about an American Tourister BCD? Maybe a TravelPro cannister light?

Of course not!

Then why buy luggage made by a scuba manufacturer?

Ok, now that you caught my attention, how about some recommendations? :wink:

....And to your point... I doubt the branded manufacturers actually makes these bags or all of the gear they offer.
They most likely to order them from bigger specialized manufacturers that creates the gear or bags to their specs and put their logo on the product.
This is how almost everything works these days - even the TV or DVD player or digital camera that you buy, is probably not made by the brand you see on it.

The reason is because it is much more cost effective to buy the products from a manufacturer which creates higher volume of producrs for many brands and able to reduce the overall manufacturing costs. vs. investing in production line.
From my little experience it seems that each brand specializes in a few items which they may manufacture themselves.

So my guess is when you buy a bag from a scuba brand, this bag is probably made by a bag manufacturer.

Thanks,
Eyal

You might want to look at non-scuba brands too, there's no particular need to get a special scuba bag. (And many people will argue that it's better not to have a scuba logo on the bag - while I don't think theft of used dive gear is exactly rampant in airports, it certainly doesn't hurt to lose the scuba logo.)

We've been using the Eagle Creek ORV trunks for a few years and really like them.

Interesting. I've never had any issues with my MARES bag which has pretty big logos on both sides. But it looks like a good point.

I looked at the "Eagle Creek ORV Trunk". It looks pretty sturdy and the wheels seem to be heavy duty.

Thanks for the recommendation...

-Eyal

Ok, now that you caught my attention, how about some recommendations? :wink:

....And to your point... the diving gear manufacturers doesn't really make these bags. They usually order them from bigger bag manufacturers that put their logo on the bag. This is how almost everything works today - even the TV or DVD player that you buy, is probably not made by the brand you see on it.

The reason is because it is much more cost effective to buy an existing product than investing in prototyping and development of new bag... let alone the production line. Specially if bags are not their primary line of production. I bet even the scuba gear is not really "made" by the brands but made to their specs.

Thanks,
Eyal

I bought two large Samsonite rolling duffle bags like this:

41J5VNKMG8L._SS400_.jpg

They were $99 each at Macy's and I got another 20% off with a coupon. They have lugged a full complement of gear to the Cayman Islands, St Kitts, Hawaii (twice), Florida (three times) and Catalina (twice) and are still in fine shape. On live-aboard trips they fold flat and slide right under the bed.

I also will use one or two of these TravelPro Crew 5 29" bags on occasions where I'm combining work travel with some diving:

TP7429-01.jpg

Great when I need to bring some business casual clothes for a meeting, but still want to bring my gear along. I got them for $159 each on ebay. I have toted a BP, wing, drysuit, undies, can light, backup lights, mask, fins, hood, gloves, reels, etc down to cave country in one of these bags no problem - and still had room for two pairs of khakis and a couple of button-down collared shirts. These bags have also been to Hawaii, California, the Caribbean and back with all gear unscathed and the bags still in perfect condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom