Seeking Advices on C5060

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear all,
I would like to buy a new C5060 with new strobe. Could you give me some comments on choosing inon D180/ Z220 strobe or Sea&Sea YS-90 Auto.
Moreover, I know there is a 5-pin sync-cord port at the PT-020 housing. Then which brand of sync cord should i buy to function TTL with the strobe.
Thanks
meifoodaniel

Hi

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the diferences between the strobes you
mention , but can offer you the following info.

The only strobe that was designed to work directly with the PT-020 is the Olympus
FL-20 in a housing .It is not a very powerfull strobe , good enough for macro but not
much else - I have one .

I recently bought a Sea & Sea YS 90 Auto and have been using it as a slave strobe via fibre optic cable . Mike Finger makes a sync cable for use with the
PT020 / S & S 90 Auto - apparently it works quite well .See this topic at DD :

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=8439

I am seriously considering buying one .

Mikes Site : http://www.mike-dive.de/ , hope you can read German.Try the translator
mentioned on the home page .

He also makes something for use with the Inon strobes , but I don't know whether he
has managed to cancel out the spotting light / laser on shutter press yet .From what
I have read the Inon Z220 is an excellent choice .

Hope this was of some help , I'm sure others will jump in as well .

Safe Diving

Andrew

can fully recommend the mike-dive option. my experiences so far with the 5060, pt-020 and ys60 can be found at www.devilgas.com/oly5060 there is an issue with the olympus connector (it's too weak and suffers electrolysis problems) but these can be avoided.

mike is one top guy. very busy at the moment but nothing is too much trouble. his before and after sales service is top class. as can probably be guessed from this, i'd highly recommend him!

First let me say all are great strobes. However I always recommend to my customers that they look ahead in the long run, in the event they decide to upgrade. That said, if you ever want to use a housing that uses a standard Nikonos (5 pin) syn cord as opposed to a fiber optic sync cord, you are unable to do so with the D180 as it does not allow the use of a standard sync cord.

As far as the 220 is concerned, it is very nice, but is quite large and a little more expensive than the 90DX which gives you the same light output and beam angle.

The 90DX is fairly compact, and allows the use of both a fiber optic cord and a standard sync cord, so it is quite versatile. This is one thing I require in all my equipment. I like to know that if the time comes to upgrade or try out new equipment, at least some of the equipment is useable and I do not have to make an entire investment all over again.

If you have any questions, send me an EMAIL and I will be happy to answer them.

Best of luck,

Mike

Hi Devilgas

Thanks for the info . Your website is very helpful .Do you know whether the same
converter is applicable to the PT-020 and YS 90 ?

Safe Diving

Andrew

hi andrew. not sure but i don't see why not. do you use the nik connector or the sea & sea connector? the 60 and 90 both work with the motormarine2 so the pinouts must be the same. best bet would be to drop mike an email.
i'm currently deciding whether to try and get a replacement bulkhead connector for the one that sheared or whether to replace it with an IP68 gland that i've literally just collected. the 2nd route isn't reversible!

the alternative is to get the non bulkhead connector solution, but i'm not sure if you get the same level of functionality. certainly the hardwired route alleviates the IR beam alignment issues with the other system. it's just that weak bulkhead connector......

thanks for the thumbs up for the www!

Consider the Ikelite housing for the 5060 along with the Ikelite substrobe 125. It is a TTL setup with no slave and works very well. Email me and I will tell you where I purchased the setup. Pleased with the price and support.

Tom, just back from Bonaire

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom