Seeking advice for recovering from DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check for a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale).
As the boss said...

The only case of diagnosed DCS I have seen over the years involved a PFO. A student having just completed an Open Water with 2 dives to 18m max... A fellow from the USA that I advised to get checked for PFO upon return States-side.

As the boss said...

The only case of diagnosed DCS I have seen over the years involved a PFO. A student having just completed an Open Water with 2 dives to 18m max... A fellow from the USA that I advised to get checked for PFO upon return States-side.

Thanks - I already have a referral to get checked. I’ve heard from several people now to get checked for it. I’m hoping to hear back about the appointment today.

Check for a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale).

@Oli125 , this will be one of the rare instances where I disagree with Pete. PFO is associated with sudden-onset severe neurological DCS, inner ear DCS, and cutis marmorata (type II skin bends). Your symptoms, especially the chest pain, dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and continued activity intolerance, do not suggest this. If you do have a PFO (and as you pointed out, 25-30% of the adult population does), it could very well be a red herring.

Another potential diagnosis here is pulmonary embolus, which can result from deep vein thrombosis and has been known to occur after a long plane flight. Symptoms from this could have theoretically improved with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Given that the workup in the hospital in Bali was minimal, I personally would be uncomfortable sticking with the diagnosis of DCS. Other causes of your illness must be ruled out. I'm not saying that this is not DCS, but you need a more thorough workup, especially given your initial symptom presentation. I rarely take positions on SB that are this strong, but I recommend that you do this ASAP.

Best regards,
DDM

@Oli125 , this will be one of the rare instances where I disagree with Pete.
Doctors disagree with me ALL THE TIME only because they are smart and know stuff. I would listen to DDM way before you ever consider my ramblings. My only clue in was the tiredness. A friend who had a PFO, had an unexplained DCS hit and was tired for months afterwards. He couldn't cite anything specific, just a general malaise. Had it closed and said it made a world of difference.

I rarely take positions on SB that are this strong, but I recommend that you do this ASAP.
You know... I can't ever recall him posting this. Heed his advice... ASAP or Stat! Whichever you prefer!

Doctors disagree with me ALL THE TIME only because they are smart and know stuff. I would listen to DDM way before you ever consider my ramblings. My only clue in was the tiredness. A friend who had a PFO, had an unexplained DCS hit and was tired for months afterwards. He couldn't cite anything specific, just a general malaise. Had it closed and said it made a world of difference.

For the record, my wife is the doctor, I'm a nurse ;-)

I appreciate everyone’s input however with all due respect I am not looking for a diagnosis. What I have been asking for is tips on recovering from DCS - preferably from someone who has gone through it themselves or seen it with a friend or loved one first hand. There’s nothing online about recovery that I can turn to. Anything you can share on recovery would be greatly appreciated.

For example:
How long was your recovery?
How long did you have residual symptoms?
Did you find eating certain foods or supplements helped you?
Why did the doctor tell me to drink 3-4 litres of water each day? And why do I feel worse if I don’t?
How long until you were back at exercising?
Do you have any lingering pain or issues?
Was there anything that helped speed your recovery?
Do you still dive? Have you altered your dives in any way since it happened?

I am getting better but it has been slow- 3 weeks now. The most I’ve learned from my doctors is recovery is slow and residual symptoms can come and go for weeks and even months. I am being checked for PFO on Friday to rule that out as a cause. In the meantime If you have any tips to share I would be forever grateful.

If you have any tips to share I would be forever grateful.

@Oli125 , this will be one of the rare instances where I disagree with Pete. PFO is associated with sudden-onset severe neurological DCS, inner ear DCS, and cutis marmorata (type II skin bends). Your symptoms, especially the chest pain, dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and continued activity intolerance, do not suggest this. If you do have a PFO (and as you pointed out, 25-30% of the adult population does), it could very well be a red herring.

Another potential diagnosis here is pulmonary embolus, which can result from deep vein thrombosis and has been known to occur after a long plane flight. Symptoms from this could have theoretically improved with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Given that the workup in the hospital in Bali was minimal, I personally would be uncomfortable sticking with the diagnosis of DCS. Other causes of your illness must be ruled out. I'm not saying that this is not DCS, but you need a more thorough workup, especially given your initial symptom presentation. I rarely take positions on SB that are this strong, but I recommend that you do this ASAP.

Best regards,
DDM

@happy-diver please read the first part of my last post. I have confirmed DCS from 3 doctors and DAN. If you have tips to share on recovery I’m interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom