Securing the tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i had an experience once...my tank slipped aft i my entry into the water...apperently my bc tank strap came loose when i didnt securely fasten my velcro. After that incident i now always fasten my velcro and try secure the tank about 1/4 the full length of the tank.

My only experience with tank band slips are when people do not correctly tighten the tank band when they setup their equipment. There are quite a few tank band straps and fasteners and this must be emphasised on the Open Water course that even though the tank band is closed it must be tightened correctly and securely to ensure that the tank band doesnt slip. Have seen more and more of the type of tank bands that use air pressure to secure. They always look secure and wonder why they have taken so long to catch on .

I had the tank slip on me a couple of times when I was just starting, and just a couple of months ago when I used a new wing that compromised my cambands. It's annoying, but not a disaster. I've also seen other people lose tanks, including a dive instructor on a night dive in the Caribbean who lost his -- TWICE!

The last time I saw this happen, it was while we were in Indonesia, when I saw my dive buddy losing her tank. To my enormous pleasure and pride, I was able to reset it and tighten the bands down -- while we were both hovering about five feet off the bottom, and without either of us losing trim or buoyancy control. Fundies paying off yet again!

PerroneFord:
No only will the change of a position of a tank change your trim, but the idea it is no big deal is ludicrous. Jump in with your valve off and see if it's "no big deal". And don't bother saying that won't happen. People do it every year, and some die from it.

No really. It is not that big of a deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom