Secrets to good Macros for DC1200??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heydn62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm starting to think maybe it's not me. I have a lot of difficulty getting clear shots of anything within about 12 inches with my DC1200. I've gotten pretty good at hovering over an object, but can't get clear shots. I've tried both with the macro focus on and off. Sample size is still small as I can't dive nearly as much as I'd like to, so maybe I haven't learned the right "tricks" yet, but honestly, I got better pics with my old SL 321 before it died last year.

I plan to play around more in a pool when I get a chance, but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I spent a week with my new DC1200 in Aruba in May, doing 21 dives in 7 days and a great learning experience with the camera....in every possible situation. I found that setting the focus on Macro and aiming the strobe
directly at the subject, that I got great Macro shots from even 2-3 inches away. One trick is to hold the camera very, very still.....and take as many shots as you can snap, to get a few good ones. I love being able to take macro shots without having to preset a camera topside with extension tubes, etc and then hoping that in a 36 shot roll of film, I get a couple good photos.....digital has made a believer out of me. I never thought I'd put my Nikonos III with extension tubes in the closet but the DC500, then DC600 and now DC1200 made me retire the film cameras. Even my Sea&Sea MX10, which I've used for years, remains in the closet now. DC1200 is the best beginners digital camera I've seen.

did you leave the wide angle lens on for your macro shots in aruba? some friends shoot macro with e WA lens on some take it off. interested to her you rside. thanks

BLACK ANGEL.jpgOCTOPUS.jpgyellowmoray1.jpg
these photos taken last weekend, yellow moray was taken on macro with sl951 macro lens fitted as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom