Second stage(s) to use with Scubapro MK25 - Your pick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a MK25.
I am wondering what you guys have for a preference on second stage and octopus.
I dive Northeast saltwater.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

mine have Poseidon Jetstreams on them

If you're diving northeast saltwater, the MK25 wouldn't be on my list though. Plenty of regulators out there for that price point or cheaper that would do that job better than the MK25....

I dive NE waters year round with mk25's. Matter of fact I own 9 of them. Never once had an issue. Now that doesn't mean I don't like my mk17's better, sealed diaphragm. Now if scubapro made a sealed diaphragm with a swivel turret and 5th port I'd sell everything I own and buy those.

But I do dive mk25's year round, I have never had one freeze up. In CT this last February and March I was in 34 degree water according to my logs. So if that is what you want go for it. I'm not saying they are the end all be all, however, it's YOUR money. Spend it how YOU wish. No matter what you want to buy you will hear good and bad, it usually comes down to preference. If that is what you are leaning towards then I'd give a thumbs up and say pull the trigger.

Now if I had to choose a brand new reg set from SP, it would be the mk17 g260. Hands down, no questions.

The MK25 is an excellent 1st stage. I would go with an A700 or S620 Ti.

The G260 is also a good choice.

Go with the classic - https://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/regulators/products/mk25-evos600.aspx

EVO means it will do slightly better in cold water since it includes their XTIS - Extended Thermal Insulating System

IDK the differences between the 600 and the newer 620 though - or the price difference.

I'd probably buy a cheaper Scubapro octo so you can have both serviced at the same time.

I dive NE waters year round with mk25's. Matter of fact I own 9 of them. Never once had an issue. Now that doesn't mean I don't like my mk17's better, sealed diaphragm. Now if scubapro made a sealed diaphragm with a swivel turret and 5th port I'd sell everything I own and buy those.

But I do dive mk25's year round, I have never had one freeze up. In CT this last February and March I was in 34 degree water according to my logs. So if that is what you want go for it. I'm not saying they are the end all be all, however, it's YOUR money. Spend it how YOU wish. No matter what you want to buy you will hear good and bad, it usually comes down to preference. If that is what you are leaning towards then I'd give a thumbs up and say pull the trigger.

Now if I had to choose a brand new reg set from SP, it would be the mk17 g260. Hands down, no questions.

My thought process in choosing a MK25 is the fact that its a piston unit.
I will however look deeper into the MK17.

My thought process in choosing a MK25 is the fact that its a piston unit.
I will however look deeper into the MK17.

and what drove you to determine that pistons are better than diaphragms for the environment that you intend to be diving?
After that, what drove you to scubapro vs the other piston regulators on the market?

1. Find out the cost of the service for both 17 and 25.
2. Make sure your octo is as good as your primary because in emergency it is the one that someone would have to use it.

and what drove you to determine that pistons are better than diaphragms for the environment that you intend to be diving?
After that, what drove you to scubapro vs the other piston regulators on the market?

I was leaning towards piston solely on the recommendation of a few divers I know. I am however on the forums here to make a more educated decision. I am rapidly changing my mindset to a diaphragm unit, especially a sealed one.
I decided on Scubapro after setting a poll on one of my earlier posts and saw the almost unanimous popularity of Scubapro.

Back
Top Bottom