Second Stage clip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have recently noticed some divers with snap clips on their primary regulators. what is the situation this is used in? maybe independent doubles to secure it during tank balancing? Or maybe for clipping off while using a deco bottle? are there other situations that you would clip off your primary?

I have recently noticed some divers with snap clips on their primary regulators. what is the situation this is used in? maybe independent doubles to secure it during tank balancing? Or maybe for clipping off while using a deco bottle? are there other situations that you would clip off your primary?

If you're using a longer primary hose (5, 6 or 7ft) you need to clip it off when its not in use to avoid dragging it on the deck of the boat. For doubles, if the priamry reg isn't in use you need to clip off it off as well.

Or if you're just swimming on the surface and not using your reg.

Generally, whenever you're not using your primary reg, it's a good idea to clip it off, and not having things dangling loosely from your rig. Doing so will prevent freeflows, getting it caught along line, kelp, fishing line, dragging on the bottom of the reef, etc.

Would you add this to a regular (short hose) primary? when diving a single? Is there a DIR place to clip it off, so that it is always in the same place when you go to look for it in the dark? I assume this is not done for the backup as it would be annoying to be looking for it in an emergency and have to unclip it first?

I suppose you could add one to a short hose, I don't see what good it would do. A "DIR" single rig still uses a long hose, and thus a bolt snap as well.

The backup is always bungee'd around the neck; clipping it off would be suicidal.

Last edited:
Would you add this to a regular (short hose) primary? when diving a single? Is there a DIR place to clip it off, so that it is always in the same place when you go to look for it in the dark? I assume this is not done for the backup as it would be annoying to be looking for it in an emergency and have to unclip it first?

I'm not quite sure I understand. If you have a DIR set-up, you would not have a "regular (short hose)" primary. Your primary would be on a long hose (5-7 feet) and would have a bolt snap connected to it. When you're not using your primary (and it's not in your buddy's mouth), you would attach it to your right chest d-ring.

With a DIR set-up, your back-up second stage would be bungeed around your neck (just under your chin)....there would be no place to clip it, nor would it be necessary or wise (you want to be able to get it in your mouth as quickly as possible if it's required).

Would you add this to a regular (short hose) primary?

You could - although its pretty hard to smash up a 2nd on a short hose, most people with boltsnaps on the 2nd stage are diving a longer hose

when diving a single? Is there a DIR place to clip it off, so that it is always in the same place when you go to look for it in the dark?

Right chest d-ring

I assume this is not done for the backup as it would be annoying to be looking for it in an emergency and have to unclip it first?

The backup is bungied under the chin, it doesn't need to be controlled anymore than that.

rjack already gave a nice explanation, just complementing about DIR set up, you always use a long hose, even with singles, long hose is not used because you're with doubles, but because if your buddy needs air, with long hose he will have more mobility, which is true also with singles and also by because breathing from the long hose it is very easy for your buddy to get air from you, he will always know where to go... right to your mouth, and you immediatley get the one bungeed on your chin, that if well placed, you not even need your hands to recover it, although the correct procedure is to use your right hand to take the primary from your mouth and hand it to your buddy and almost simoutaneously recover the back up with your left hand (you always need to first hand in the primary and only then recover the back up, or the long hose will get trapped behind the back up.

About the clip it should be placed in such a way that you can breath from the primary even if it is clipped (as mentioned, to the right chest D-ring), which corresponds to put it in the hose about one open palm from the second stage.

Reasons for clipping the primary already explained... malfunction in the primary, you are breathing from the back up, you are breathing from a stage, isolated doubles could be a reason, but not in DIR set up, there are no isolated doubles in DIR set up, swiming in the surface, or simply using the back up to test it to be sure that it would be ok if needed.

Without a long hose, I agree with other friends that there is no point in using a clip.

I just put a clip on my short hose primary second stage.

Even with a short hose, that reg has a tendency to get under the tank when on land/deck and otherwise get into places subject to abuse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom