second-hand canister dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello guys!

I need you opinion about getting or not getting a second-hand HID light. I've been offered a Halcyon Proteus 6 Ah 18W HID for a reasonable price (around $550).

It comes with a delrin canister, supposedly new 6ah battery, E/O cord, original Halcyon goodman handle and a brand new (2 month old, no dives with it) bulb.

I plan to get into cave diving in the future and I would also like to use it for night dives. The 2 hour burning time concerns me a bit and not sure whether buying a second hand light is a good idea.

Please educate me about dive lights, I hardly know anything about them :( I have been browsing the net for ideas, but the overwhelming amount of information doesn't really help me to pick between the different types of lights.

One more thing: if I understand it correctly then I could replace the HID light bulb with a halogen one thus saving money should the bulb burn out.

Thanks very much for every piece of information in advance! It's greatly appreciated.

383bfd8aff0a65b3.jpg

d92f2a8e103c6a20.jpg

02447924f9bc17fe.jpg

a8a_4_big.jpg

Hi neighbour !

First look Barry Miller (SALVO) LED VS HID

You have very nice lamp , but as I see you have 18W old style HID bulb , which is problematic because it is tehnicaly old , weak (may fast break) , very expensive , every day harder to find it , made by WELCH-ALLYIN , which I think move production from USA to Mexico if it even stop production of that bulb because of LED market overtake.

New style bulb is made by BRIGHTSTAR and has different balast , socket and bulb which mean almost new head
NEW BULB

GO TO LED!

One more thing: if I understand it correctly then I could replace the HID light bulb with a halogen one thus saving money should the bulb burn out.

HID works between 15000V (ignition) and 65V (working) for 21W DC bulb!!!!!! (25000V -85/95V for CAR AC 35W HID)

I have bought plenty used gear and have no issues. the light seems good and if its your price range I would go with it. There are lots of people who use the 18W still today and hundreds of dives on them with out issue. Buy the light use and if you love it you can always send it into Halcyon later and upgrade it to the 21watt

LED's are nice lights but IMO are not as good as HID. If you diving in tropical waters with over 100' Viz any light will work and work well. If you going to be in less then perfect waters I think HID is better it does better at getting through the murky waters, signaling buddy and is foucusable to work in different scenero's

@ Beni

It is also possible to buy this lamp.... than buy halogen insert with E/O

Parts 97€

or later even LED insert , but....(always but :)) ) your battery tank need some more amps

small and powerful are LiXX (On ,Fe,S....) batteries but must be protected cells!

I bought an older American Underwater Lighting and changed the umbilical out, replaced switch , rubber boot, Orings, and reworked all the compression fittings, and built 2 sets of batteries.... Its a 50W Halogen, yellow light.. It uses 2 12V9Ah in parallel, its 12 lbs, Adjustable head and so far Ive spent 12 hours underwater with it and max depth 30 feet without any leakage. I also added an LED in the lid. I was collecting a Mastodon Femur Friday and somehow I flipped the switch with a bonr fragment, and it was lights out... freaking cave dark, and after I set all my gear (bags and carrying stuff) down I then noticed the LED wasnt on... flipped the switch and instant light again.. Shuuuuu I mean folks it was pitch dark in a gator hole... LOL Oh well Me and the bone came out and so far its preformed like it should. With the 50W Halogen Im draining the batteries to 11.4-11.6V during a 2 hour dive. Recharge each night to around 13.6-14.0V and ready for round two.

I have about 325 bucks in this one and right now wouldnt trade it for anything. Its tricky setting up the batteries in a carry position, Ive been in the modification since last Tuesday on gettin git in the right spot. we normally are on the bottom so I want it close and for a prop if need be!

Al the hype about HID and LED... For me in river diving I can tell its tough, its a light which had been tested in this environment and a bump here and there isnt a problem, Ill duct tape the heck out of, Im using it for function not to chase women. It also relieves me of belt weight which kills my back. Im almost intergrated and lighted! LOL

Steve

:D
Halogen light is quite OK, but if I got it ...I'll put http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFT START CIRCUIT voltage can be higher cca 15- 16V ( and bulb will give much more light ) but tungsten wire inside bulb 'll be protected from thermal shocks (bulb destruction )

something like this

CPF softstart

I've bought quite a few used canister lights, but the only one which has failed was the one with the WA bulb.

The price on this light is a good price for an HID light, but some of the LED lights are getting down into this range brand new now. LED lights are generally not as focused in beam (although some have a very nice central spot) but they are virtually indestructible, and have the advantage that you can run them on land, and turn them on and off at will.

The last used light I bought came off The Deco Stop, was a 21W Salvo with the 9 ah battery (four hours + burn time) and I paid $600 for it. That might give you some comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom