Second fatality in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enjoyingthesun

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Grand Cayman (as long as immigration let me stay)
In a pattern sadly mirroring the start of 2007, a second diver has died off Grand Cayman in the space of 10 days.

The 64-year-old is reported to have surfaced on his own after problems during a dive off the old DiveTech location (now Sun Divers) at the Cracked Conch in West Bay on Tuesday 29 January.

His body was recovered in open water some 10 miles west of GC on Thursday.

The site, known as Turtle Reef, is a 60' mini-wall about a 3-4 minute swim from the entry ladder. We frequently have a tricky surface current out there due to prevailing winds and, from my experience, it is better to stay under the water coming back in if you can.

In 2007 we had five fatalities in the early months of the year then things settled down.

In a pattern sadly mirroring the start of 2007, a second diver has died off Grand Cayman in the space of 10 days.

The 64-year-old is reported to have surfaced on his own after problems during a dive off the old DiveTech location (now Sun Divers) at the Cracked Conch in West Bay on Tuesday 29 January.

His body was recovered in open water some 10 miles west of GC on Thursday.

The site, known as Turtle Reef, is a 60' mini-wall about a 3-4 minute swim from the entry ladder. We frequently have a tricky surface current out there due to prevailing winds and, from my experience, it is better to stay under the water coming back in if you can.

In 2007 we had five fatalities in the early months of the year then things settled down.

any details yet on what caused his death? Was he a new diver or once a year diver? Any info? Was he shore diving with a group?

Just did this Dive today. Very easy dive. Agree about the surface conditions. We just kicked in about 5ft under until we could grab the rope and pull into shore.

Excellent dive.

I heard this guy was with a group and he was having issues and decided to head up, they let him go alone. For all we know he passed out on the way up or something.

Guess his Dive buddy failed him and that is sad.

Thank you. Rather extensive leads for Ms. Baxter, RIP.

After watching the report, the first reaction is the "Buddy System" he was using failed. Seems he had experience...to a point. Sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom