Second Episode of Skin Bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree completely with Duke Dive Medicine. As an active recreational/technical/CCR/cave diving instructor and an interventional cardiologist who closes PFOs on selected divers on a regular basis, I would be happy to discuss your case with you in detail if you would like. PM me and I''l give you my cell number.

For what it's worth, I know several divers with known or suspected PFOs who still dive, they just plan their dives exceptionally conservatively. Like running gradient factor 40/60, ascending SLOW, always taking some extra hangtime, staying hydrated, staying warm, no heavy activity post dive, etc.

Just adding that somewhere between 15 and 25 of all people (and thus all divers) have a PFO. It’s a negligible risk factor until it’s not, ie until you have an event that may be related to said PFO and is not caused by something else (strokes being the primary reason for PFO closure in selected patients, overall). The bigger risks are with larger PFOs (with large shunts) which are far more rare. But I see no value in screening preemptively for rec diving in divers who have never been bent.

(my background: 6th year cardiology resident with a focus on cardiac imaging, among other things)

Forgive if this seems stupid. Somewhere in these posts I noted mention of cold and constriction. Could a tight wetsuit make a difference? I am thinking that wetsuits can be very constricting for women across the chest area. I am linking this to the physique description.

Forgive if this seems stupid. Somewhere in these posts I noted mention of cold and constriction. Could a tight wetsuit make a difference? I am thinking that wetsuits can be very constricting for women across the chest area. I am linking this to the physique description.

It doesn't seem stupid at all. A wetsuit that was tight enough to impair lymphatic drainage from the breast tissue could theoretically lead to DCS in that area. I've heard anecdotal reports of this.

Best regards,
DDM

Then this could be another anecdotal report. I was never sure because the dive was above 20 m and under one hour. Also some possible previous damage from an (undignified) fall in the garden.

Then this could be another anecdotal report. I was never sure because the dive was above 20 m and under one hour. Also some possible previous damage from an (undignified) fall in the garden.

Most of mine are undignified too :wink:

There's no way to really be sure about DCS if you weren't evaluated in person.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom