Sebastian Inlet Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cabio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

After visiting the springs area and Busch Gardens in Tampa we
are planning a one week stay at Sebastian Inlet State Park during the mini-season.

My son (15) and I are OW certified beginners and I have pretty much read everything available on the net about lobstering and now I'm looking for specific tips about this area.

We have a 10' inflatable with an electric motor and I was wondering if diving from the beach, or close enough by boat, would be safe and would we have a chance of getting any lobsters or would joining a dive group be preferable?

Any suggestions about sites to dive or operators would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have not heard of any dive operators in the area. If there are any, I'm not aware of them.

I have heard that lobstering around Sebastian Inlet (Monster Hole) can be pretty good, however, the inlet has a pretty strong current and it is only safe to dive this during high slack tide. Monster Hole is a little ways off the south jetty. There are supposedly really large lobsters hanging out in there. The park rangers can give you more details on the exact location. I haven't managed to dive that site yet even though it is fairly close to where I live.

You can also do some shore diving at Wabasso which is 7 miles south of the Sebastion Inlet park. I have dove there quite a few times, once kayak diving and the rest of the time just waddling in. Visibility can be rather iffy at this location, but I have seen numerous lobsters there and the reef line is not too far out - decent swim, but if you have an inflatable you have it made. There are also several locations for shore diving south of Wabasso from Vero to Ft. Pierce, in fact almost all of the beach accesses are diveable (sp?). You can contact Deep Six in Vero for conditions.

Hope that helps some.

db

fldivejunkie:
in fact almost all of the beach accesses are diveable (sp?). You can contact Deep Six in Vero for conditions.

Hope that helps some.

db

Thanks for info. Excuse my ignorance but what is the meaning of SP?

cabio:
Thanks for info. Excuse my ignorance but what is the meaning of SP?

cabio-
That means the writer is not sure if the spelling is correct.
Good luck and have fun if you dive the mini-season!
Kurt

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom