Seasoft Tx review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did my first dry suit dives today as part of the dry suit specialty course. Max depth 25 feet, water temp at surface and depth = 40F.

I purchased a SeaSoft Tx drysuit a week ago. I haven't seen a review on it here, so I figured I would write my initial thoughts on it. Since I haven't tried any other drysuit, I don't have much to compare it too, so keep that in mind.

Here is a link to the product page:

http://www.seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=STX&PHPSESSID=3ad263ffb12030b0b61a7cb0d4e5fd89

Cost - excellent. Seasoft's best package, which includes just about everything you need, including undergarment, hood, ankle weights, dry bag, hat, scarf, and the PADI DrySuit Specialty class, is less than a DUI drysuit and I mean just the drysuit. Gloves are not part of the package..not sure why, but even after I purchased their gloves...still cheaper than a DUI suit.

Weighting - In my full 7mm, hood/gloves, I need less than 14lbs to be neutral at 15 feet with 500psi. With this drysuit, hood/gloves, and undergarment I needed about 35lbs, using an AL80. I may be a little overweighted, but I doubt I will get under 30lbs. My next dive with it, I'll get my tank down to 500psi and then I'll know for sure. It was my first dive in cold water in over 6 months and first in a drysuit, so I may be able to shed even more weight off when I relax a little more.

Its a neoprene suit and I was informed ahead of time that I would need much more weight. I'm already looking into alternative weighting systems to spread the weight around. For these dives, I had 12lbs on a weight belt, 2lbs on each ankle, a 2lb tank weight, and 17.6lbs spread between two integrated weight pouches on my BC.

And since its neoprene it will compress at depth and with that goes the thermal protection you receive at the surface and shallower depths. I only made it to 25ft today, so I don't have much to say about this until I get deeper...next weekend. :)

Seals - The seals are also neoprene and they fold under themselves. Once folded, when air gets in between the tucked in part and the suit, this is what creates the water tight seal. In my two dives, I had no leaks. I am seriously considering shaving my wrist areas, because trying to tuck those seals under with the hair on my arms..yeaaoouch. :)

Valves - The inflator valve is on the center of the chest, as standard with most suits, but the exhaust valve is located about halfway between your elbow and wrist. In order to dump air, you have to raise your arm....again, never dove with a shoulder exhaust so I am indifferent on this. The exhaust valve worked fine.

Warmth - The only part of me that got chilly was my hands, but my head and the rest of my body were very comfortable. DUI's dry gloves work with this drysuit, so I am going to get a pair of those and take care of that problem, but I was extremely happy with how comfortable I was everywhere else.

Feet - Got some air in the boots and this caused my feet to start swimming around in there. I didn't realize this was the cause, so on my 2nd dive I just adjusted my body attitude a little bit, more of a head up position, so this kept the air to a minimum down there. Before my next dives I will put on some thicker socks and maybe even my wetsuit booties, if they fit...this should take care of that.

OVERALL - After my first two dives with this suit, I am very pleased. I was dry after both dives, and still can't believe that water was 40F, just didn't feel like it. I felt comfortable doing my skills...even though I took a guess on weight distribution, I was able to maintain a trim position.

The two instructors in the water with us today both had on DUI suits and I was impressed with both suits. The certainly have their advantages over the Seasoft suit, but for this season, cost matters. :)

J

I am a wet suit diver thinking of moving over to the dry side of diving. DUI and seasoft suits are on my short list. First hand information on seasoft suits has been very limited so anything you can add would be most appreciated.

Wow, it's great to hear a SeaSoft review! We carry their line of products in my dive shop. They have excellent high quality scube gear. They are just not as well known as other scuba lines. Thanks for the review!

I will make sure to add how this suit feels at depth...probably wont go below 50 feet over the weekend, but that is a fairly decent depth to see how the thermal characteristics change from 25ft.

The only drawback I see soo far is the amount of weight I need, but keep in mind...I'm not overweighted.

It's a durable suit, obviously you need to take care of it nicely, but it handles/feels just like a wetsuit. You dont really need to baby it so much, but obviously around the zipper and valves being careful is a must.

I'll stop now because I only have 2 dives on it, but if I wasn't happy at this point I would be saying so. :)

Once the suits were repaired/replaced...they havent been troublesome for the most part. No issues with the zipper or anything like that.

Buoyancy is different..to say the least. Below 40 feet or so...you really notice the change and I have to add a lot of air to my BC..tried adding it to the suit only, but quickly learned this was no good...Marshmellow Man comes to mind.

I'm glad I tried it out, but like most things..you should really try a couple variations out and then decide and thats what I am gonna do this year.

What repair and replacement issues did you have with your suit(s)? I gave this suit serious thought before I went with Diving Concepts so I'd like to know what you thought of thieir quality after a year's time. I really like thier gloves and hoods.

Hi Jim,

Both my buddy and I had leaking boots from the start..im not gonna go into detail about the whole thing...but each of our suits had to be returned back to Seasoft I think twice each..in the end, I cant honestly answer your question because I received a new suit from them and by that time I could wear my 7mm wetsuit.

The customer service was good though...no complaints there. My 'new' suit has less than 4 dives on it and it has worked fine..no leaks.

It shall be on Ebay sometime soon.

J

Ahhh... thanks jepuskar for your response and feedback. So sorry you had so many problems-so frustrating and aggravating to say the least. I guess I feel glad now that I went another route. Hope Seasoft can increase the dependability factor as I like their other products.

I've been very happy with Diving Concepts Neo Z so far... I've only got two dives on my own, but I've rented the same suit numerous times with no leaks, if that helps you with future choices...

Jim

Back
Top Bottom