SeaSigns or similar class in south bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm comfortable with commonly-used hand signs underwater and 90% of the time can get my message across. However, I've hit a few situations where something more complex has come up and I wasn't able to convey it.

For example, we were doing a fun dive after a class at Del Monte, and decided to find the Amtrack to practice our navigation skills. We lined up one of the surface reference points but couldn't find the other, so we dropped down with a plan to follow the reverse compass heading of the reference we knew, which just happened to be heading directly offshore. I knew the Amtrack was at around 25 ft, so when we got to that depth without finding it, I felt we should change our original plan and start a search pattern along the depth contour. I was at a complete loss of how to communicate this to my buddy with hand signals and had no slate, so after a couple attempts, we surfaced and discussed the change in our dive plan.

In retrospect, our plan was too rigid and didn't encompass a significant likely scenario (that we could miss our target in the 15' vis), but it was still frustrating to need to surface to communicate. I've seen ads online for SeaSigns but the dive shop I frequent doesn't have an instructor. Does anyone know of a local instructor close to Sunnyvale? Otherwise, anyone have any tips on how my buddy and I can expand our sign vocabulary?

I think you just need to expand your vocabulary a little bit... Here's how I would signal it

Look - 2 fingers point at your eyes

Around - same 2 fingers make a wide circle motion

2 5 - Point at depth guage signal 2 and 5

level - level off signal

I agree with Ben's suggestion, get creative with the hand signals. Some signals are very common and anyone would understand, even if its not precisely what you want to say.

There's always full blown sign language, which would probably be more universal than SeaSigns(?).

In the end, this will never fail: ScubaGearPlus Products Halcyon Diver's Notebook, Slates & Wet Notes

I think that "question" is perhaps the most useful sign.

I think you just need to expand your vocabulary a little bit... Here's how I would signal it

Look - 2 fingers point at your eyes

Around - same 2 fingers make a wide circle motion

2 5 - Point at depth guage signal 2 and 5

level - level off signal

I'm sure like everything in the sport, better communication will come with practice and experience. If I were watching you sign, I think I'd be following along fine with that sequence until you got to the "2 5". Tapping your console (unless I was watching very carefully where you pointed) and indicating numbers would immediately shift my thinking to air remaining and I would worry that I misinterpreted the earlier signs. I'm sure it will get easier.

I know in the worst case, I could have signaled "YOU FOLLOW ME", but with a change to the dive plan, I wanted more input. I did try several times to get my point across, but every shrug I got frustrated me more and more. Sometimes you fail at something, you go back and try to figure out what you can do differently. This time, instead of a set of individual items to fix, I'm left with the sense that I have a gap in my training that experience will take a long time to fill. Hopefully a class dedicated to underwater signs will help build up my confidence. My buddy wants to take it with me and I dive with him 60% of the time, so at least we'll be on the same plane, no matter what we learn.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I'm comfortable with commonly-used hand signs underwater and 90% of the time can get my message across. However, I've hit a few situations where something more complex has come up and I wasn't able to convey it.

So you take a class in special handsignals... Now you know how to sign many more things.... but you have a new communication issue:

Will your buddy be able to understand you?

There's always full blown sign language, which would probably be more universal than SeaSigns(?).

In the end, this will never fail: ScubaGearPlus Products Halcyon Diver's Notebook, Slates & Wet Notes

I've thought about ASL--my daughter is learning rudimentary signs in her day care and it's fun to try to figure out what she's saying. However, learning a new language is a huge undertaking and there's only a small subset used in a diving environment. I'm focusing all my "hobby time" on diving right now, so I don't want to take away from that. From their literature, SeaSigns is a 110-word vocabulary based off of ASL and Signed English that is tailored for the underwater environment. It sounds to me like a quick way to jump-start my confidence communicating underwater.

I'm definitely looking into notebooks/wrist slates. I used to carry a slate on a shoulder d-ring but it got in the way. Now that I've streamlined the rest of my gear and am building intuition about what works, I'm sure I'd be able to find a setup that works.

Thanks for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom