Searching for the best quarry dive in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had the good luck to dive a few quarries and have so far enjoyed Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham the most. I dove it a lot in college and have taught there whenever I could since. It is a great setup for everyone from student to tech divers. It has multiple platforms at various depths and a number of sunken "treasures". Also, guidelines from the platforms to various "wrecks" help the navigationally challenged. For the tech divers it offers depths to around 150 ft. Plenty of parking and on site dive shop with air/nitrox pretty much takes care of your every need.

My only complaint is that I can't spear some of the bass there. The years of vienna sausage and cheese wiz have made for some massive fish.

Well, my usual quarry is Rawlings too but I had the chance to dive Fantasy Lake in NC this past weekend. I'd have to give the edge to Rawlings for better viz and facilities, though I wish it wasn't in the middle of freaking nowhere or at least closer to me. I'll be heading up to Dutch next month so we'll see how it ranks.

Lake Wazee in Black River Falls WI...330 feet deep, cold and very clear. Great fish life
BasstrioLakeWazee.jpg

So..... I searched "quarry dives in usa" on Google, and this sad little discussion came up. I apologize for reopening this, but.......the question was never answered! Aren't we all divers? And, isn't any body of water a potential dive spot? And, since quarries are usually very deep, with high visibility (usually in the winter months), and full of wrecks and other cool things to swim through, why wouldn't they be worthy of a comprehensive list?

So..... I searched "quarry dives in usa" on Google, and this sad little discussion came up. I apologize for reopening this, but.......the question was never answered! Aren't we all divers? And, isn't any body of water a potential dive spot? And, since quarries are usually very deep, with high visibility (usually in the winter months), and full of wrecks and other cool things to swim through, why wouldn't they be worthy of a comprehensive list?
You see a bell......you want to ring it! I do a lot of off-roading, so, when I see a dirt road or trail, I want to drive on it! AND WHEN I SEE A BODY OF WATER..........I WANT TO DIVE IT!

High visibility and deep? You make me laugh. There are a number of quarries in the Midwest with low visibility that may only go to 70ft, and aren't necessarily open often in the winter.

There are two within a hour and a half drive from me that are in excess of 130ft with 50ft+ visibility and are open year round.

P.S. why all the negativity?

Scuba Diving

I tried to get this quarry opened up to solo divers. Low visibility, full of fish and REALLY unusual stuff... Their lawyers totally killed it. Note the line about solo diving in the link above. I take that personally. I give.

I now dive the back bays and inlets to the ocean. No loss, I'll never go back to any quarry.

Back
Top Bottom