Searching for the best quarry dive in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The only quarry dive I have done was in Lake Rawlings VA and I am thinking of diving Dutch Springs sometime soon. I was just curious, what would be the best Quarry dive in USA be?

It would be the one closest to you, accessible in acceptable driving time.

But then again, what do I know? Someone may have toured them all.....

Gilboa is way up there with the depths to 135, all the attractions, and reasonable admission. Was supposed to go this weekend but picked up a damn ear infection! I like Portage as well. Not as deep but easy to navigate, nice surroundings, air fills on site, and real nice people. I'll definitely be there for the annual BBQ to benefit DAN in July.

At the risk of sounding like the "get a bp wing" response...if one were to be willing to travel from say, eastern Pennsylvania to California to dive the "best" quarry....why wouldn't you just go to the Caribbean or even the FL Keys?...OK, I don't get the quarry thing...maybe there are really nice quarry dives.

I would second gilboa quarry. I've dove a few and for the diversity of diving gilboa has it.

Quarrys are good for those of us that can't travel very often and like local diving. Personally 95% of my diving is done locally and the rest is vacation stuff. The brackish waters of a quarry are good for learning navigation skills as well as practice in general. Personally I like diving quarries but then again that is just me and it isn't for everyone. Just a lot of people as there is always a good crowd when ever we show up to a quarry.

why a quarry? are you looking for inland freshwater dive sites near cities? or quarries for some particular reason?

Best freshwater dives would be too great a term, for it would include dives like the great lakes etc. I was interested in keeping this small here. Reason ... I just wanted to know how the quarry dive I did (Lake Rawlings) compares to other smaller fresh water sites. thats all :)

okay, well in that case......... Santa Rosa, New Mexico - Blue Hole
it's a fresh water spring, not a quarry, on a busy weekend there may be 200+ divers, and on a slow weekend there may be 5 divers (summers are always busy, winter it is slower)
water is always 62 degrees, summer or winter, and crystal clear until divers start mucking it up!

[vimeo]5829074[/vimeo]

that is my husband teaching OW class at the platform, I was diving with some other divers down to bottom and stopping by to wave at students on way up.. I have over 100 dives there if you have any questions.

Diving "Blue Hole" in Santa Rosa, NM & around the Southwest USA on Vimeo (all my blue hole videos)

robin:D

The only quarry I have dove is Blue Water in Pelham Alabama (near Birmingham) I have no idea how it compares to other quarries, but there is always a good crowd there.

Gilboa is good, Bonne Terre would be another good one, but I agree with other posters...why not go to Florida and dive some caves or a place like Crystal River where you can dive with Manatees if you want only freshwater?
How about the Great Lakes, if you want fresh water? Go to Canada at Tobemorey, excellent dives in Georgian Bay.
Is something wrong with diving on the reef in Florida? Texas Gardens...might be oiled out?
Something wrong with Hawaii?

Back
Top Bottom