Searching for senior friendly locale for open water cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13
stated :
":Don’t forget that due to their age, whatever dive op/instructors you go with may require your parents to have a medical examination.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marie 13 is so correct !
To avoid disappointment and possible rejection at the dive site and/or the loss of a days vacation time searching for and visiting some marginally trained island doctor for a "Dive" physical and for your and her peace of mind best to get a decent complete physical on your 70 year old mother prior to departure.

SDM

I have to agree with tursiops. Age means nothing —. A good instructor is a good instructor. You could also get some old instructor who had seen it all and just doesn’t care anymore. However most of the Instructors we see actually care about turning out good competent divers even if they are underpaid for what they do. Maybe we have just been really lucky with the caliber of those we have come across.

Looks like post was locked up for some..... unpleasantness, but we're open for business again.

UPDATE - my parent's WILL be getting open water PADI cert here in Indy. That takes some of the pressure off of me and makes the planning easier. Now, I can be looking for (1) great dive spot with (2) senior friendly dive shops (3) that won't cost an arm and a leg.
I have been looking into your suggestions. I didn't really consider Curacao but will now. Airfare is the real hindrance for Roatan (I have a limited amount of American Airlines miles). Belize would be fantastic but a little concerned about the transfers from the airport to whatever island we would choose so I'll have to research that. I'm used to roughing it on trips but not with the folks in tow.
We are hoping to go in July or August. That's the plan, at least. And yes, we will be renting all of our gear where ever we go.

Thanks again to all of you who chimed in.

If you go to Belize and are concerned about $$ to get over to Ambergris Caye, then take a taxi from airport to the water taxi port in Belize City. That used to cost around $25 but I'm not sure if that's still the price or if it's gone up a bit and then take the water taxi over.

But if you book your Tropic Air flights ahead, you may be able to garner some real savings by getting in on their saver fares. The flight over and back is awesome and would be a shame to miss unless it just adds far too much to the overall cost.

I haven't been to Curacao but can certainly see some real benefits for you folk there. Friends of mine went with family and stayed in a VRBO place and they dove off of the front deck every day. Absolutely loved it!

One thing to be aware of in West Curacao with seniors is that there's a lot of steps at many of the resorts. For that reason Marazul, All West, most of the Lagun properties will have that problem. If you're looking for a house, although the Coral Estates properties are up the hill (nice breeze in that area) you can drive down to the dive/shop now - used to b 4 flights down from Habitat - which is now condos catering to Euro's fom what I've read.

Even though the Lodge KH is upscale, they have some good deals in the summer. From the resort down to the dive shop is mostly paved ramps but to get to the beach is about 20 steps.

I might look for something east of Willenstad. Some of those properties are also high on cliffs overlooking the dive site but there's at least one set of rental villas that have individual dive docks and are right on the water. Sorry I don't have the name but I would have found them on vrbo.com

The resorts in Piscadera Bay are all waterfront (Old Hilton, Veneto, Renaissance, the Marriott is scheduled to re-open soon. Although it was pretty vertical they had elevators from the room towers to the beach/pool/dive level. Most of the condos in that area are up hill across the street and behind the resorts. Nice view and breeze but we chose to drive down - steep hill to walk. You can see it on the Royal Palms condos website. PBay is a nice area, there's a seldom use convention center, several resorts, beach bars and a couple decent restaurants. 4-5 mins, north of downtown so you miss all the cruise crowd - they go south from the Megaport.

No reason to stay downtown unless shopping is a priority over diving. About the only place with a shore dive is ScubaLodge and they can't bring a boat in there afaik. Much of the rest of town is on the working harbor. We do the Surges at the Sunscape AI resort if that's of interest. I have not been there but know there's a shore dive and Ocean Encounters shop there.

OE might be a good choice for senior checkout dives also, they have the largest fleet,most locations yet are very safety conscious. We dove with someone else all week but to do their dolphin dive I had to show a recent logged dive on Curacao. Nice boat with a big swim step.

Well...parents went to their doctor to get an okay and he said - No Way. He listed some issues with their health and scuba diving at their ages and they have decided against it. Both are VERY disappointed, as am I. A lot of research for nothing but on the bright side, my girlfriend got certified over the weekend and I got my refresher here in Indy at Sonnyside of Scuba. So I am taking her somewhere in the Caribbean and all of your input will be helpful. Guess all of the concern over transfers and steps are no longer a concern!

My 70 year-old mother wants to scuba dive so I'm trying to plan a family dive trip while everyone's in good health.

Well...parents went to their doctor to get an okay and he said - No Way. He listed some issues with their health and scuba diving at their ages and they have decided against it.

Thanks for the update. however, I'm surprised at the conflict in these two statements you've made. I wonder if the doctor actually is correct or is just being overly careful. You might try getting a referral from DAN for a local doctor who knows something about diving. The result can't get worse!

P.S.
I'm 78 in two more weeks, just had my annual physical, and the doctor is delighted that I want to keep scuba diving....says it is good for me.

Thanks for the update. however, I'm surprised at the conflict in these two statements you've made. I wonder if the doctor actually is correct or is just being overly careful. You might try getting a referral from DAN for a local doctor who knows something about diving. The result can't get worse!

P.S.
I'm 78 in two more weeks, just had my annual physical, and the doctor is delighted that I want to keep scuba diving....says it is good for me.

The OP could have meant in “good health” as in, everyone is still mobile, able to get around, doing OK. They could still be that and be unable to dive. Who knows what the health issues are?

You’re 78? Never would have imagined that! :D

I had my annual yesterday and got my dive medical form signed off (as I have allergies). Doc loves that I dive. Another patient is an instructor. She said she wishes more people my age (50) were as active as I am.

Back
Top Bottom