Searching for senior friendly locale for open water cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you did decide on West End on Roatan, have the dive op see what kind of a deal they can get for you at the Coral Vista house or the Bella Luna house. These are excellently located and the whole family can stay together in comfort. Party noise shouldn't be a factor either.

Great replies!!!! Thanks for all of the info. I can't believe all of the posts. :bounce:
I am going through your posts now.

West Bay is beautiful but as far as I know, the divers still have to wade out to the boats to climb on and off. Whereas in West End, the divers get on and off the boats from a dock. Definitely my preference

West Vay is beautiful but as far as I know, the divers still have to wade out to the boats to climb on and off. Whereas in West End, the divers get on and off the boats from a dock. Definitely my preference
West Bay Divers are now also at the Grand Roatan with a dock or water entry at their Beachers location.

@jonhall
In my book you are established and a knowledgeable indy diver
and certainly one good ole @backpacker99 should seek your friendship-
but probably wont - you are a Hoosier what has "been there and done that..."
(I also suspect I also wasted my time and dispensed knowledge-- but its better than stemming 2 cases of Strawberries that my wife wanted me to do--)

Clive no longer writes - he uses ghost writers who use his name on the cover - His dear wife passed away a few years ago and he has remarried a lovely blonde lady- who is seeing to Clive's every need and is very protective of him.

Interesting the last time we were in Italy his books were every where- evidently he is extremely popular over there ...And we all said "Sure you're going to write the great American dive novel !"

Take care old friend-- cheers from California

Sam

OOps @Marie13 CE

Don’t forget that due to their age, whatever dive op/instructors you go with may require your parents to have a medical examination.

I'd suggest you research Dive Aventuras in the Riviera Maya community of Puerto Aventuras. The dive shop is located inside the Omni Hotel, where they use the pool for initial check-outs. Boats load from the local marina, water is usually calm, with very little current, and the reefs are healthy.

The dive shop is full service, and can help you with accomodations, as well.

My 70 year-old mother wants to scuba dive so I'm trying to plan a family dive trip while everyone's in good health. Thought I could get some suggestions from folks in the know. My parents have never been out of the US so I want to take them somewhere picturesque with excellent diving. I've done a lot of adventure traveling but never with my parents so I'm a bit anxious.
I'm looking for a senior-friendly environment...on the lower end of the cost spectrum. I'll have 2-4 people who need certified and would like to find a dive shop where we can get a package with certs, equipment, and dives together. As for location, I've considered Roatan and Belize. I don't know much about the central Caribbean. We plan on about 7 days and each of us getting in 10-15 dives.
If you have suggestions, or cautions, please chime in.

I've been wondering. Is your mother already a swimmer and snorkeler?

I've been wondering. Is your mother already a swimmer and snorkeler?

Good question! I assumed that they his parents are snorkelers, but the OP never said that. It would also be helpful to know the other types of things that his parents like to do on vacation. Do they mostly like to relax and chill out or do they like shops and restaurants and other tourist venues?

And what time of year do they want to travel? It all makes a difference in offering suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom