Search and Rescue diver info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boozer:

I never dove recreationally and started my diving career as a psd. I do agree you should look at the job as a whole and not think of it as just going diving. Like mentioned above you must be prepared to pull a child from a submerged car, or bump into a body during zero vis. PSD diving happens when the call comes day or night, blizzard or warm sunny afternoon during a family gathering. You have to be committed to drop what you are doing and respond. There is very little time for preperation and planing the dive. I am lucky to be on a top notch team and have some very experianced guys on the team. I just recommend you look into the job and make the right choice for you. I wish you luck and if this is truly what you want to do my hat is off to you. Be safe and good luck

Jaildiver

Boozer:

Are you ready to remove the body of a five year old little girl out of a submerged auto and explain to the mom what you found?

Generally "rescue" really means recovery !!!

I am aware of this. Quite a few of my family members have been firefighters in Upstate NY and I have seen infints come down ladders burned. It is a sad sight to retrive anyone that has passed but at the same time you might give closer to a family or help solve a crime. I didn't explain well in the first post but what I am not looking for this to be my only career. I operate large cranes and that is my primary career. I do thank everyone for the input I am surprised at the amount of responses. :14:

I am aware of this. Quite a few of my family members have been firefighters in Upstate NY and I have seen infints come down ladders burned. :14:

It is a much different scenario underwater. I have seen people who deal with land deaths on a daily basis nearly crap their drawers on a victim underwater.

Current and position can play some weird games underwater. I have had them turn and look at me with what looks like a smile on their face. I have had their eyes follow me as I moved around them. It’s not unusual to have their hair flowing like in a light breeze. And they may even be waving at you.

Even in a very still lake they can move just by the slightest water movement the diver causes as they approach.

I have seen more PSD’s ruined as divers than PSD’s that have been able to make it a career. A very large percentage of my department has been on the dive team at one time. Not a one has continued to dive after leaving the team. It is a very tough business not to be taken lightly.:wink:

It starts out fun. It will rarely end that way.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom