Search and Rescue diver info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boozer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am having a hard time trying to find out how to get in touch with my local dive teams. I don't know who they would be employed by or where there are based out of. I am very interested in making diving a career and would love any help I can get. I am based out of Atlanta, GA Near Lake Lanier. The more info the better

for paid teams 99.9% of the time PSD is a secondary duty to a "real job" - ie fireman, cop etc.
Check with law enforcement and fire to find out who does what. Allot of teams are strcitly volunteer too

Sometimes a simple google search will help you out. That's how I found one local dive team, however they are slowly getting out of s&r because of liability issues and funding (it's a private group, not attached to an FD or PD). My husband tripped across an offer because of the dive flag on the back of my car. He was pulling into a fire station to pick up an application and the conversation went something like this as he was getting out of the car:

FF: "You a diver?" (nodding to the sticker on the back window)
DH: "Yeah..."
FF: "We're hiring divers."
DH: "Well, my wife's more into than I am."
FF: "Take an application to her, we could use some more divers."

This was about a week ago, haven't heard back from them yet .. am going to one of their meetings next week, DH talked to the chief two days ago and he said that's the fastest way to get hired on, since half of their volunteers don't show up to meetings like they're supposed to. We were told OW is the only requirement, they prefer AOW and stress & rescue but will help you get whatever training is necessary, including all the Firefighter certs since their dive team are PPC FFs who's main job is diving but also go on fire calls if needed.

First article listed under search for "rescue dive team lake lanier georgia"

Divers Continue Search For Missing Jet Skier On Lake Lanier - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Here is a link to the Hall County Sheriff's dive team:

Hall County USRT

Not sure exactly where you are since you say in your post you are out of Atlanta, Near Lake Lanier but the lake is a bit north and in a different county. Your profile says you are in Alpharetta which is in Fulton County and is not in any of the counties which cover the lake. You may be called for mutual aid assistance if the operation goes long enough. Looks like Hall County Sheriff has a dive team that covers a big portion of the eastern side of Lake Lanier. Looking at the county boundaries Forsyth has a large part of the west side of the lake and Dawson County may have a portion of the northern part of the lake. Gwenett County may cover some in the south as well.

Here is a link from searching for "forsyth county rescue dive team" on google

Divers Recover Body From Lake Lanier (CummingHome-Cumming GA Forsyth County News)

Looks like the West Side is covered by Forsyth County Fire Department and also some assistance from Cherokee County. Given the size of the lake it does not surprise me that mutliple agencies cover it.

Like the previous post say you will need to get involved with fire or law enforcement to become a public safety diver. It is also very unlikely that it will be your only assignement. For me I am a volunteer fire fighter and paramedic who participates in a regional dive team. I spend most of my time doing Training, then EMS, then Fire and finally Dive. Most of my dive is training once a month. I estimate we average three to five call outs a year for actual emergency diving which is not a lot. Not sure of the call volume there but a lot depends on where you are and how active the waterways are around you.

From the City of Alpharetta home page a search for "Dive Team" brought up this link for the The Alpharetta Fire and Emergency Services Special Operations Team. Looksl like Hazmat and some dive as well as other things. Looks like the FD has it in Alpharetta.

City of Alpharetta Website || Special Operations Team

You really have to love it and have a ton of patience. Keep searching the web, I found this stuff in about 10 minutes.

Best of luck in your endavor!!

Mark D.

Thanks a lot everyone. This has helped a lot!!!

You know, making diving your career will ruin it as a hobby...:D

You know, making diving your career will ruin it as a hobby...:D

I might add that becoming a PSD (not called a S&R diver) can ruin diving for you period. Many never dive again after a stint as a PSD. It's not something to take lightly.

Gary D.

You know there are also other options for diving as a career. PSD is only one path and I would not really call it a diving career but a public safety career.

It sounds like you are a pretty new recreational diver and public safety diving is nothing like recreational diving. I have never dove commercially but from what I have heard and read it is also nothing like recreational diving.

I am not trying to discourage you at all but as with any career choice take a long time to research it and be honest with youself if it is really the path you want to take.

Again best of luck!!

Mark D.

Boozer:

Are you ready to remove the body of a five year old little girl out of a submerged auto and explain to the mom what you found?

Generally "rescue" really means recovery !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom