Search and recovery???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ftwdiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a friend of our family who asked me a question the other day.
It seems that 30 years ago he lost his wedding ring at Mustang Park on Benbrook Lake. He said he would love to have it back for his 40th aniversary coming up soon. He asked if I would be interested in searching for it, obviously a metal detector would be needed.

My skills are not quite ready for something like that, plus I have no metal detector. So, I thought if there were any Swampers out there who may like a challenge and take a try at finding it. If you PM me I can give you his number and you can work out all the details with him about it. There is a nice reward if it is found. He didn't say anything about if it wasn't found though.

I know the chances of finding it are very slim but you never know what may happen. Needles have been found in haystacks before you know :D.

Yup, that's a loooooong shot, for sure. The problem is that a high density object tends to burrow itself very nicely into a soft silt bottom. As for the metal detector, it could provide some help, but the problem there is that it picks up every can, fishhook, bottle top and other piece of metallic junk that has accumulated over the last three decades or so. Of course, as one uncovers the muck on each prospective target, that means the vis goes to zero, hence making it very difficult to read the meter, so have the sound set before going down.
However, it would make a fun outing and hey, who knows? Stranger things have happened, and I tend to be an optimist. Here's hoping for your good fortune!

I know it would be a VERY long shot. Also, after '06 when the lake level was down 12 or 17 ft., I can't remember the exact level. There is a big chance someone may have found it onshore then or even many years ago.
I told my friend that I would post here and see if anyone would be interested.

Tell your friend to just be happy he has a marriage that's lasted 40 years. :) I'm still 32 years away.

Reminds me of a story when I was a DM, a guy came into our LDS and said his wife had lost his wedding ring over the side, and could we send someone down to go and look for it - his boat was moored in 70 odd feet of water over eel grass.

Eventually after some haggling (trying to dissaude him) the owner said he would send an instructor over and it would be $200 to get in the water, plus $50 for each half hour after the first. The guy agreed (must have been an expensive ring), and the instructor took the boat out and went over the side.

Lo and behold, he found the ring in about 30 seconds. He said he sat on the bottom blowing bubbles for 15 minutes because he didn't feel he could come right back up and skin the guy for $200!

One of my dive buddies (and my brother in law) lives on a Texas lake, one that is NOT usually dived due to the poor vis--less than two feet. Well, one of his neighbors jumped off a two story pier and when he hit the water lost his $500 bridgework! A week later, my bro-in-law and I hit the water with our gear to look for it. We made one pass and saw nothing but the cones of orange from our lights. Then, my partner descended straight down from the surface in about ten feet of water, pointing his light down so he could see the bottom before crashing into the muck. Right in the beam of his light were the silver and porcelain teeth! That was a long shot, too, so take heart. That missing ring might be found after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom