Suggestion Search And Recovery Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Rich Keller

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone think it is a good idea to have a search and recovery forum? The forum could cover, search methods, recovery methods, rigging and laws pertaining to salvage. It could also work as a think tank for people with salvage problems or questions.

I've been approached by the director of our local volunteer Rescue, Search & Recovery team to visit their operation and to consider joining them. We had a brief conversation about what they do, requirements, logistics, etc. It would be interesting to see and hear what other's experiences have been before I pull the trigger.

I would be interested.

Here's a couple of "goodies" from a Nassau wreck I wish I could have taken, but it's look but don't take at this diving venue. IMG_0365.jpg
As a founding member of California Wreck Divers (California Wreck Divers) I was sorely tempted to add 'em to my private "museum" ;-) The venue is Stuart Cove's, an excellent dive company and location on the eastern shore of Providence Island.
Frank Farmer
aa.diver@verizon.net

all ready is for public safety divers

That was the first place I looked and I did not see anything. I think it is something they are all trained in so it does not seem to generate much discussion there. My idea for this type of forum was to benefit the sport diver trying this for the first time. This is not something most sport divers train for but at some point I think most are asked to do this for someone they know.

A lot of recreational divers do occasional search and recovery, and I think almost all divers have some interest in the idea of finding something exciting, even if they have no intention of making it a focus of their diving.

Several members of our local club do a lot of muck diving for collectables, and the club has been discussing purchasing an U/W metal detector for members to borrow.

I am definitely interested.

TBH I don't think a dedicated forum is necessary...

I'm going to ditto MarkHerm's position. I don't think there's enough of a influx of search and recovery questions.
Those that do come in could easily fit under the Adv and Public Safety Diver sections.

Perhaps someone could start a "What's your most interesting salvage find and how did you rig/lift it"
If the thread takes off then there could easily be some great use for a separate new forum on the topic. Right now I just don't see it.

In the underwater treasures section there is a thread for things you found underwater.

Back
Top Bottom