Seaquest XR2 Regulator Purge Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotsofast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have this reg setup that needs service but no one locally has a replacement purge cover and mine has completely disentrgrated.
This same reg was also sold by US Divers Aqualung under the name Impulse and possibly another earlier name witha different first stage.
Mine has the SEA first stage and I understand the rebuild kits are the same as for other AL regs, but I do need the purge button or cover.
PLEASE! Does anyone out there have an extra purge cover for either the XR2 or Impulse reg laying around. Would even consider a used one and any color will do.

Used is all you are going to find, that cover is no longer produced as far as I can tell. I will look around and see If I have an old one laying around.

Yeah, I hear ya, no longer available is what I got, but hopefully someone has a brand new one hidden in a parts drawer somewhere. They keep wanting us to get rid of the good old stuff that works and keep buying more new disposable plastic junk, why? All part of the global corporate conspiracy I believe!
Any ideas for an alternative to this "purge button", I hate to get rid of this one as it was not used for a long while and is in very good condition otherwise. It is basically what all the newer AL adjustable regs are based upon, and was always a solid performer. I have slowly been downsizing my gear and decided to keep this one over others because of this. Thanks for your response and I like your quote

Anyone out there, any intelligent life!?! Just kidding!
Has anyone used one of these regs without the purge button or cover, or made one themselves?
Hate to throw a perfectly good, quality reg away!
Anyone have any experience with these purge covers?
Can it be replaced with a different Aqualung or US Divers purge cover plate design?
Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Thanks

You will have to find a used one, they don't make them anymore. I would suggest if you can't find one, if you buy Oceanic you can trade in that one and get 20% off a new one. Just a thought, good luck

I removed all of the old purge cover pieces and put a piece of duct tape over the face plate, works fine but you can't really push on the purge, just use the bc inflator to release pressure.
Was just thinking, for all of you who work on regs, is there another faceplate that will fit on that reg? Or maybe one that can be retrofitted on to it?
This regulator is known as the Seaquest XR2 and also as the US Divers Aqualung Impulse.

I just picked up a Conshelf SE3 with an Impulse 2nd. It's purge cover is in good shape, but in doing some research on the reg it seems they have the tendency to rot over time. That coupled with the fact that replacement purge covers are no longer available means these regs will likely have a very finite lifespan. You may be able to sift through some of the parts diagrams from AL from the past 10 years or so and maybe get lucky to find a currently available purge cover and ring that will work. I'd start by finding one that uses the same diaphragm and go from there.

Edit:
I looked through a few of the AL parts lists. The only currently produced reg with the same diameter diaphragm is the ABS octo and the purge cover for that obviously won't work. The 2006 parts list still showed the XR2 cover as available but the Impulse cover as discontinued. So it looks like when it comes to finding something currently available that will work you are SOL.

If I were you I'd shoot an email to John at Northeast Scuba Supply. It seems like he is pretty good at getting his hands on AL parts in general. If that doesn't work just replace the 2nd stage. Although it looks to be a fairly good performing design, if the parts rot away and you can't get more of them, you'll just be in the same boat later on. Throw a metal conshelf 2nd or a SP 109 on there and it will be much more trouble-free.

Last edited:
Still looking for this purge cover for my Seaquest XR2 or US Divers Aqualung Impulse.
Anybody???
Help!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom