SeaQuest Sure Lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this new version of BC with Sure Lock? What is your opinion on this?

I have an old version Pro QD and considering to replace it with the new Sure Lock version.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Three words to descibe my experience with it: I LOVE IT!!!
I got it just in time for my trip to Bonaire in January. I love the clip system to hold the weight pockets in place, much more secure than the velcro was. I tested it out to the max too. I put ten lbs. per side and tried to shake those weight pockets out, and they weren't going anywhere. The PRO QD+ is the same. They actually gave the L and XL pro qd+ double weight pockets for each side, so you can hold up to 40# in the front. They also redesigned the pockets so that with the weights in there, you can still reach in and get something out of the front pocket. They also put the knife grommets on the left side of the balance and Pro QD+ so if you have one of the deep see knifes, they will fit right there. I thought that was cool. Like I said, I LOVE IT!!!

Thank you for sharing.

The main reason I want to switch is that because I lost a weight pouch due to the Velco come loose underwater (though I later recovered it on the sea bottom). I also think the new pocket of ProQD+ with SL is a great improvement.

That why I am considering to replace my old ProQD.

I agree with you... the surelock is a much more secure connection to hold the lead in. I have never lost a pocket with the velcro connection, but i can see how it can be done.

I would have to agree that the SureLok system is awesome and has moved the Pro QD+ from a very good BC to almost perfect. I just got rid of my velcro QD+ and now have the SureLok. I dove with someone who had the ProQD+ SL in November and he loved it as well. You can definately put 10lbs in the pockets and not worry about the pocket coming out. The nicest thing is the pockets almost load and 'click' on their own which is nice with three finger gloves on. Seaquest also put a carrying strap on the weight pockets so the plastic locks don't get abused and another strap inside the pocket to keep a single weight from moving around. The other huge improvement is an expandable gill in the main BC pocket which means the pockets are actually usable when there is 10 lbs in the weight pockets. LIke I said this is almost the perfect jacket BC IMHO now.

My only negatives would be it is a little heavy for traveling and with the extra padding in the back it has a little more inherent buoyancy than other BCs.

Hey Lubold is that what those grommets are for! What kind of deep sea knife are you refering to? Can you post a link? Thanks.

I've been looking for a link with a pic to no avail. Deep See's website is www.deepseeinc.com/knives.htm The ones that will work are the razorback and the squeezelock. Sorry, but no pic with it on the bcd.

Actually, here's a pic of the PRO-UNLIMITED (fancy-schmancy pro-qd) with a squeeze lock knife attached in the same place as it would be on the PRO-QD+: http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/bc/bc_proultd.htm . That gives you an idea anyways.

I think there are some UK knives that will work also... namely, the FUSILIER, and the TRIGGER.
http://www.uwkinetics.com/CategoryDisplay_cgmenbr=91&cgrfnbr=840.htm

Thank you for all your replies.

What would you think about the durability of the Sure Lock mechanics? Would it last longer than the Velco? Would it be as durable as the Scubapro's traditional buckle?

Thanks again.

LB, good questions but I think the truthful answer is one cannot say. The reason I switched from the velcro was twofold. One, even with the best of care velcro does breakdown especially when handing the weights off to a busy boat captain who then tosses them on the floor and the next set of weights on top of the velcro. Secondly, I really wanted a system where I could hear a loud click thereby knowing that the weight pocket was locked in. Although I was always careful with the velcro several times I snagged the pocket and it came half undone. I usually realized this but didn't like the idea of snagging a weight pocket and having it come out. I think when I saw someone else's velcro pocket come out on entry(not a seaquest BC) I decided it was time to switch. My guess is even with good velcro care this new Surelock mechanism will outlast it but we shall see. If someone drops a ten pound weight on that buckle who knows what will happen.

I had looked at the Scubapro Knighthawk and didn't like the two step process of unclipping the buckle and then pulling the pocket. I think the Surelock system with the buckle at the front of the pocket and one direct pull to release it is a better system. Both buckles though are plastic and therefore susceptible to getting stepped on or having weights dropped on them. If the buckles are kept away from other weights and other divers' feet they should last forever.

That is just my .03 cents worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom