Seaquest pro qd+ how secure are the integrated weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi bought a second hand seaquest pro qd + and have used it for more than 30 dives . i like its profile, big pockets and integrated weights pockets

i have had virtually no problems with this bcd but a post about integrated weight problems got me thinking.
so i was wondering what other owners of this bcd have ot say about its integrated weitght pockets safety and durablility.

cheers

I have not had a problem with my weights. However, I just bought mine at the beginning of the month and have only dove it seven times. I did have a problem with by straps and had a connector break this weekend. Since, it is new I am expecting a replacement.

I did notice that the new model has changed not only the strap connector that broke on mine but also the weight pockets. The new ones look like they are vertical inserts that velcro and lock into place. So, either there was real issue, or the design was changed so they could sell the "new model".

I currently own two SeaQuest BCD's: A Black Diamond and a Balance. I have been using them for several years already. (I used to own a PRO-QD+ BCD). Both models use the SeaQuest Surelock weight pouches. No issues concerning the locking mechanism or durability or quality. They are made quite well.

I have just read about the diver based in Kuwait that is having problems with his Mares weight-integrted BC. After reading the thread, I believe his problem was an un-secure weight pouch. When inserting the weight pouch, make sure you hear a click when the plastic buckle locks in place. If you are not sure, tug on it. If it's locked in place, you're good to go.

My husband had a weight pocket fall out of his Pro QD+ after he'd had it for about 2 years, and he was anal about checking to make sure they were snapped in properly before diving. Was $25 to replace it and he sold it soon after to buy a Ranger LTD. Although he misses the big cargo pockets of the Pro QD+, the back inflate is better suited to his photography and we never have to worry about a weight pocket falling out again.

As a side note, we spent two weeks on a liveaboard a couple of years ago and found 3 weight pockets on our dives....one belonging to someone on our boat. We've found a couple diving Maui as well. I'm just not a big fan of weight integrated BCs with removeable weight pockets, which is why I also dive a Zeagle.

thanks for all the comments
yes that article by the kuwaiti guy got me thinking, although he uses a different bcd.
also i had a black diamond during the 1990s and i had the integrated weights fall out on me twice. of course it used the old velcro integrated weight system which had design flaws.

that being said, i think the pro qd, and aqualung in general, has the best integrated weight system around. but with anything that has moving/interlocking parts, this system could fail when it gets worn out as shown by divemavens example.

although i do feel that most issues concerning integrated weights are diver errors, im just wondering what the instances/statistics are for failing integrated weights , particularly on the qd plus. as with divemavens example, it is still a little hard to determine whether it was actually equipment failure or diver error. the Kuwaitis example also shows that what was though as equipment malfunction, was in fact diver error/unfamiliarity with equipment.

i only use 2, or sometimes 3 lbs per weight pocket (total 4 to 6 lbs weights) so my weight pockets are not strained that much, and loosing a weight wont post as much of a problem as loosing, say, a five pound weight. but it would just be nice to know the limits of your gear.

cheers

I have just read about the diver based in Kuwait that is having problems with his Mares weight-integrted BC. After reading the thread, I believe his problem was an un-secure weight pouch. When inserting the weight pouch, make sure you hear a click when the plastic buckle locks in place. If you are not sure, tug on it. If it's locked in place, you're good to go.

I can vouch for that. I was using my Seaquest Pro QD last summer in Belize and apparently I failed to check one of my weight pouches--oops, completely my bad. After starting my descent, I noticed this weird looking brown thing falling past my fins to the bottom, then I felt myself start floating back to the top. It took me about 2 seconds to figure out what had happened.

Luckily, we were entering over a fairly shallow area and my DM saw it happen, so she was able to retrieve the pouch off the bottom for me.

After that, I absolutely made sure both pouches were "clicked" into place before each dive, then I would give each one a quick hard tug to make sure. As a wise man once said, "experience is the sum of our mistakes."

I have the Pro QD with over 100 dives on it . I have used several different weight configurations i e; hard vs. soft , one weight in each pocket ( 5 lb hard) and have never had an issue. The buckles still lock in with an audible click and dont move after.

I have the Pro QD with over 100 dives on it . I have used several different weight configurations i e; hard vs. soft , one weight in each pocket ( 5 lb hard) and have never had an issue. The buckles still lock in with an audible click and dont move after.

thats nice to know. i really feel that aqualung has one of the best, if not the best integrated weight solutions

I have used a ProQD i3 for two years (2007/2008) and had no problem with the weight pockets (at maximum I had 11lbs in each pocket, while diving the salty Red Sea). But they were very bulky when loaded - this was one of the main reasons for me to switch to a DSS BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom