Seaquest Balance, IDI Advantage, or Genesis Recon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMcNally

Registered
Reaction score
I need to purchase a new BC as my current Quickdraw doesn't fit that well over my drysuit. Does anyone have any opinions on the above bc's? I'm not really too interested in the BP/Wing option. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

The genisis Recon isn't worth what you pay for it. Way too many gimics.

I don't know anything about the IDI and I have read nice comments on the baord about the Balance.

Tom

Contrary to the above post I happen to own a Genesis Recon and IT IS an extremely well built BCD. All of the gimmicks, which the EVER popular jacket style Seaquest Pro QD also happens to have, are things that you WILL ACTUALLY use. I am sure you have had a chance to look at them but here they are:

1) A gauge retractor.
2) A flashlight retractor.
3) Plenty of D-rings.

The Integrated weight system has yet to fail. Mine came with the velcro set up as it is a 2001 model. From what I have seen and heard the new 2002 "Recon" weight systems will come with the "improved" clip system.

As I have already stated before in other threads I feel that the Recon is a very well built BCD. When worn it is comfortable, the weight system works flawlessly and the fit on my body could not be any better. I have never had a problem with the "bag" and under water "it" keeps me on a perfect attitude.

Before opting to this particular purchase I had the opportunity to try the Dive Rite II, Sherwood Phantom (same parent company as Genesis), Zeagle Ranger. Thus with all been said I felt that the Recon was a good BCD that would serve me well. Also it seemed as if it would take more punishment than the other models. But that is just my opinion and true to what is said, opinions are like ***holes. Everybody's got one and they all stink.

Best thing for you to do is go and try some brands on and see for yourself. Don't listen and pay too much attention to what people say because it will impede your judgement. Besides you will be the one wearing it, not them.

Good luck

Scubakid

I own a "Balance" and can make a couple of comments.

CMcNally,

Different BCs lend themselves to different underwater activities. Some people like a minimalist approach. I spearfish and take UW photos (not at the same time), so I don't care for anything that restricts my arm movements or keeps me from getting flat on the bottom or under a ledge. The "Balance" is pretty simple in this regard.

The "Balance" only has one pocket (stowable) but it can hold a C4 flashlight, safety sausage, EMT Shears, and extra camera lenses all at one time.

Since you are diving "dry" some of this may not apply, but the "Balance" should be fine-tuned by putting some weight in the back pockets. If all the lead is in the ditchable pouches, the BC wants to push your face into the water when you're at the surface.

An over-inflated jacket BC will float like a cork on the surface. An over-inflated "Balance" will push your face into the water, so there is a technique to learn to be comfortable on the surface with back inflation.

Stone,

Looking for your opinon on the minimalist properties of the Balance. I am considering a Balance or a Halcyon BP/Wings. I have moved form the Raider because it seems too involved and busy? I simple stowable pocket and integrated weigts look good on the balance but you can't get more minimalistic than the halcyon bp/wings. You're opinion? Reason you still dive the Balance and not bp/wings?

Good day eh?!

Noshow,

Most of what I know about BP/wings, I learned on this board or in Jablonski's DIR book. There are 100's of posts listing the virtues of the BP&W, and they seem to pretty accurate.

IMO the Balance is essentially a BP&W that doesn't have much flexibility.

1) If a person wants to dive doubles, the Balance is out of the running; the BP can be configured either way.
2) A SS backplate provides its own weight; I have to put weight in the back pockets (But when I go from a dive skin to a 3 mil, then to a 7 mil during the season or even during a dive trip, I can easily change the weights to change my "Balance". I believe you need tools to change the weight on a BP).
3) The BP&W requires a weight belt, but the Balance requires two weight pockets (and when weighted for a 7 mil suit, it's usually easier to take the pockets out to switch tanks).
4) The Balance has a stowable pocket, but you can buy pockets for the BP&W.
5) The quick-release shoulder harness buckles on the Balance are great for getting out of your gear (or getting someone else out of their gear in a rescue class), but they add two more failure points.

To make a long story short, If I had a BP&W, it would be configured exactly like my Balance is right now (except for the weight system). For 90% of my diving: 50F to 85F, 85 to 110 fsw, spearfishing, picture taking, sight-seeing. . . the Balance is everything I could ask for.

If I decided to dive doubles next month, I'd be wishing I'd bought the BP&W.

Originally posted by Stone

IMO the Balance is essentially a BP&W that doesn't have much flexibility.

Wow... a strong plug for the Balance... Agreed that there is no opportunity for doubles with the balance but some people prefer to have 2 sets of gear if they get into the tech side of things. Keep one configured for tech/doubles, one for rec (ie.balance). Balace ok for cold water? (40F )... I would assume.

agan... surprised at the strong plug... :D

agreed on both parts.... fact is i'm considering purchasing a balance as my sole (and first) BC. I'm also considering a halcyon bp/wings as my sole (and first) bc. With 20 dives and no tech in near future (but not ruling out down the road IF interested), balance looked good. That is why i was happy at your plug of the balance...

too many choices :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom