SeaQuest Apeks TX50 & Apeks TX100 Difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwest_matt

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between SeaQuest Apeks TX50 & Apeks TX100 I'm been trying to find a comparison, with no luck.

midwest_matt:
Does anyone know the difference between SeaQuest Apeks TX50 & Apeks TX100 I'm been trying to find a comparison, with no luck.

Apeks TX50:

First Stage:
  • Environmentally sealed
  • Swivel turret
  • 4 high pressure ports
  • 2 medium pressure ports
  • balanced
  • Available in A (yoke) or 300 bar DIN
Second Stage:
  • Pneumatically balanced
  • User adjustable cracking pressure
  • Heat exchanger for excellent cold water performance.

From Apeks site on the TX100:
Sharing the same technical features with the TX50 2nd stage, but lighter, with improved ergonomics, a reduction in breathing resistance, and a re- designed heat exchanger, offering improved performance, the TX100 is the flagship regulator in the Apeks range. The TX100 has proven ability in demanding situations and has been down to a depth of 254 metres - a world record depth in the ocean for scuba regulators.

PS: All this information was gathered from Apeks website...

Kriterian:
Apeks TX50:

First Stage:
  • Environmentally sealed
  • Swivel turret
  • 4 high pressure ports
  • 2 medium pressure ports
  • balanced
  • Available in A (yoke) or 300 bar DIN
Second Stage:
  • Pneumatically balanced
  • User adjustable cracking pressure
  • Heat exchanger for excellent cold water performance.

From Apeks site on the TX100:
Sharing the same technical features with the TX50 2nd stage, but lighter, with improved ergonomics, a reduction in breathing resistance, and a re- designed heat exchanger, offering improved performance, the TX100 is the flagship regulator in the Apeks range. The TX100 has proven ability in demanding situations and has been down to a depth of 254 metres - a world record depth in the ocean for scuba regulators.

PS: All this information was gathered from Apeks website...

Don't know how I missed that, Thanks much..... Has anyone out there used but Regs?

And as a long-time Apeks user, I have no clue WHAT they are talking about.
I've got TX100s, TX40s, and T20s... I've converted the 40s and 20s to match the design of the 50... the only difference is the cracking force adjuster (and the 20 needs a heat exchanger)... they are all identical to the 100 now.

There is ZERO functional difference between the TX50 and TX100 2nd stages. Likewise for the ATX50 and ATX100/200.
The only difference is the shape of the openings in the cover... and I think the ATX has a chrome insert instead of a black one between the outer cover and the diaphragm.

There is some difference in the 1st stages, but nothing that affects performance. I like the hose routing with the TX100/ATX200 1st stage.

ALL Apeks overhaul kits are identical. Internally, all of the 1st stages are the same except for the non-sealed "T" and "AT" series, and the available swivel on the 40 and 50.

Select whichever one offers the best hose routing for your situation. If budget is the primary concern, stick with the 50.

RichLockyer:
And as a long-time Apeks user, I have no clue WHAT they are talking about.
I've got TX100s, TX40s, and T20s... I've converted the 40s and 20s to match the design of the 50... the only difference is the cracking force adjuster (and the 20 needs a heat exchanger)... they are all identical to the 100 now.

There is ZERO functional difference between the TX50 and TX100 2nd stages. Likewise for the ATX50 and ATX100/200.
The only difference is the shape of the openings in the cover... and I think the ATX has a chrome insert instead of a black one between the outer cover and the diaphragm.

There is some difference in the 1st stages, but nothing that affects performance. I like the hose routing with the TX100/ATX200 1st stage.

ALL Apeks overhaul kits are identical. Internally, all of the 1st stages are the same except for the non-sealed "T" and "AT" series, and the available swivel on the 40 and 50.

Select whichever one offers the best hose routing for your situation. If budget is the primary concern, stick with the 50.

I agree completely with Rich. The ANSTI breathing simulator has shown that there is little to no difference in the scores of the various Apeks first stages. In fact, there is just about the same statistical variation in examples of the same model.

I use the DS4 first stage on one of my single tank rigs. It has great hose routing, and is very compact in size.

Greg

I agree on the functionaility of the DS4 as I also use it.
As for the difference between the 100 and 50 first stages, there is little difference in performance. That being that the air is less frequently redirected in the 100 causing less resistance. as for the heat exchanger difference, it just has 4 fins instead of 3. The first stage however is disigned for improved hose routing with the angled ports.

rescuediver009:
as for the heat exchanger difference, it just has 4 fins instead of 3.
When I had both the modified T20 (adjuster but no heat exchanger) and TX100 2nd stages in 45 degree water, neither presented a problem. This was for a DIR-F class, so both regs were used during S-drills and OOA training including about a 100-foot swim while sharing air.
In the shop when dumping a tank, running EITHER through a freeflow for more than a few minutes will create a mild "leak" through the hose attachment O-ring after the freeflow is stopped.

I'm not persuaded that the heat exchanger actually does anything, so I'm obviously not convinced that adding a 4th fin will do anything.
No argument on the 1st stages though... I would not take a T20 1st into water colder than 50 degrees.

RichLockyer:
In the shop when dumping a tank, running EITHER through a freeflow for more than a few minutes will create a mild "leak" through the hose attachment O-ring after the freeflow is stopped.

Had mine under the ice and after a few breaths, it also began to leak a little. Nothing a couple turns on the knob didn't fix though.
On the second dive I switched to the Poseidon Xstream and it performed flawlessly.

rescuediver009:
Had mine under the ice and after a few breaths, it also began to leak a little. Nothing a couple turns on the knob didn't fix though.
On the second dive I switched to the Poseidon Xstream and it performed flawlessly.

Thanks for all the info, I should be fine with the tx/atx 50 or 100 then.

midwest_matt:
Thanks for all the info, I should be fine with the tx/atx 50 or 100 then.
Absolutely.
The primary issues are hose routing and bubble interference.
I haven't used the ATX series, so I can't say personally, but I've heard that in general, bubble interference is not an issue with the smaller exhaust tee on the ATX, though a few have complained.

Personally, I'd get an ATX200 for the hose routing advantages, and get a standalone TX50 2nd stage. I'd use the TX50 for my primary reg, and tuck the ATX 2nd stage in as my backup since it is a little more compact.
Try it both ways though, and if it turns out that you prefer the lighter weight of the ATX 2nd stage and bubble interference is not a problem, you can always use the 50 as your backup. :tu:

Back
Top Bottom