Sealing a Baffle SMB? Thoughts and input needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey DIY's, I have a ProBlue 6ft/40lbs SMB I purchased from piranha a while ago. After a short while the baffle separated from the SMB in several places, making the SMB leak whenever it's bottom was no longer submerged. Now the leak is so much that it's become an actual annoyance to me. The SMB stays inflated on my dive, but in my dive locker it goes limp pretty quick.

I'm wondering if there's anyway I can seal the end permanently. I was thinking of applying heat and press melting the ends together. But I don't know how to go about doing this or if it would even work.

I've already tried glue and other adhesives. It won't stick to the SMB & plastic baffle material. :(

What do you guys think?
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/6ft-Orange-SMB-High-Viz--1473

Sounds good in theory, but I will have to do some nifty cutting to fit it around the bottom strap where I connect my spool. I'm hoping I can just seal up the inner hole without having to add any fabric.

Of the links above, what fabric would you recommend that's not porous enough to allow air to pass through?

Back
Top Bottom